New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Networking problems...and TIVO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zvandyke

I'm no computer whiz, but I'm pretty sure I have hooked everything up correctly. I worked over 10 hrs. this weekend trying to set up my wireless network.

I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express.

I hooked the Airport Extreme to my cable line and then connected my IMAC directly to the Airport Express via USB cable. (I broke the wireless card to my IMAC trying to install it!!!!!!)

I can connect to the Internet using my laptop, but my IMAC only sometimes connects to the Internet. Other times it says something about the encryption not matching up. Please help.

Also, I just order the TIVO wireless adapter and have a feeling it will be another 10 hours of work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

How did you break the card?

Is your laptop wireless?

If its telling you that the WEP keys don't match, then re enter then on both ends. I have had this happen to me using PC's and linksys wireless routers. The computers would connect to the wireless router but would never get an IP address. I went ahead and re did the WEP key on the router and two laptops that were using wireless.

As for the TiVo go to the site and they have some good manuals (at least they used to). I havent been on the site in a while.
QUOTE Thanks
zvandyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard
How did you break the card?

The MAC store sold me the wrong card and I tried to jam in there. I'm not very patient with computers.

Is your laptop wireless?

Yes.

If its telling you that the WEP keys don't match, then re enter then on both ends. I have had this happen to me using PC's and linksys wireless routers. The computers would connect to the wireless router but would never get an IP address. I went ahead and re did the WEP key on the router and two laptops that were using wireless.

I'm not sure I understand this answer. Can anyone give specific steps.

As for the TiVo go to the site and they have some good manuals (at least they used to). I havent been on the site in a while.
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac networking. | Airport Bridge »