New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Trying to fix my friend's airport..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matthew_love84

Matthew_love84 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g

hey guys and gals..

Well, my friend's ibook is picking up a signal from her router in her new apartment, but it can't open up the internet at all.. or do any other online functions.

it has "full strength" showing.. but no info.

What could possibly be causing this?

thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Can any other computer using the same router get on-line? The signal strenght is simply showing how well AP is seeing the network. Check the router for proper configuration. Also make sure the Mac is set up to use DHCP.

QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

Matthew_love84 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g

i'll take my powerbook over there later on, see if it works.

if not, think a simple router re-set may fix the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

It may, but you will likely need to see how the router is set up to work with the client computers.

QUOTE Thanks
JimmyHat

Wireless and internet access are two different, distinct things. Wireless networks are basically the communication between any local computers and a modem. Internet is the communication of the modem with the outside world.

Your wireless network can function perfectly without a modem, and you would never have internet access. The diagnosis will depend on whether or not you can see/access other computers on the network (or the modem configuration), or not.

If you can not, then it is a problem with the wireless (or local) network. If you can, there's a good chance that the modem is not configured properly or there is a loose connection somewhere. Basically, try to eliminate as many possible sources of the problem as you can by working from one computer out.

Start with another computer on the network. If you don't have one, then try to access the modem setup page through your browser. If you can't, then try to open up the router configuration page. They're usually some variation of 192.168.x.x

If you can't open that up, then try to ping it. If you can ping it, then try to ping another address (i.e. www.google.com). If you don't see the domain name translated into an ip address, then there's a problem connecting to the DNS server, so you're not getting through to the internet.

Check your modem's status. Unplug the whole setup (modem and router), and wait for about 30 seconds. Then plug in (in this order) the router, wait about 15 seconds, then plug in your modem. Sometimes modems will bind to a particular MAC address (note that this MAC does not mean the same thing as Mac) and needs to be reset.

Other than that, call the ISP. They're usually pretty good at figuring things out. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

the first thing I would do (and have done on each wireless network I've installed) is to make sure the computer to modem connection works (accessing internet) before hooking up the router. If that works, then you know the modem is okay. If after putting the router in the mix you don't have internet, then it's a router setting.

You didn't mention what router you're using, or what type of broadband. If it's DSL and you're using PPPoE, you've got to set up the router for that and make sure the option to maintain the connection is set. Even at that, PPPoE can drop depending on the modem and router being used.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« networking problems (linksys) | Mac compatible USB Wi-Fi Adapters »