New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Linksys USB Adapter Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WhyLobsters

Ok, I am deathly scared of opening up my newly purchased Tibook to install an AirPort card, so I went to my local Circuit City and asked two seperate workers if the USB adapters would work for a Mac. The boxes said nothing about Mac, so I was skeptical, but they both assured me that they would still work on my computer, and they recommended the Linksys Wireless USB Adapter. Here's where the problems start...

I put in the setup disk and it won't run it, which worries me, so I go online and do a general google search of the product to hear from other Mac users who may have it. Besides the experts exchange, which wants like 17 bucks for the answer it may provide, I found nothing about configuring it for a Mac. Does anyone have any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah - since linksys doesn't seem to offer mac drivers, take it back and demand a full refund of your money since they made such a poor recommendation.

Belkin have one that is supposed to be mac compatible...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Aptmunich is correct. Take it back and get your money back. They had no right recomending a USB WiFi Nic with no support for OSX. Like was said, Belkin has one and I am told Dlink does but be carefull. Anything with a BroadCom Chipset will be detected by OSX.

Do you own the Airport card? If so, I doubt it is that hard to install.
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

Also, installing the airport card on most iBooks is pretty easy, and can usually be done in five minutes. If you are really worried about it, take it to a local shop and have them do it, although they will probably charge quit a bit for the privilege.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DL-714P+ and my MacBook | Ibook loses connection after 10-15 minutes »