New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Ibook loses connection after 10-15 minutes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

Lately (last 2 months or so) my ibook has been dropping wireless connection after 10-15 minutes. I have a linksys WRT54G router, and my windows desktop never loses connection, as well as my wifes windows laptop. I noticed alot of other ibook users had this problem when they upgraded to 1.5gb ram, like I have, but the weird thing is it just happened at the beginning of June. Anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening?
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

what type of router do you have? is it new? this used to happen to my ibook, and then it jut mysteriously stopped.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is the ibook in exactly the same location in the house as the other machines when this happens? I am wondering if it's interference? Seen that a few times. Also have you updated OSX in recent times? If so it could be a bug in the Airport drivers update or something went wrong when updating. If that is the case, try downloading the current OSX Combo Update and reinstalling it.
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

The router is a Linksys WRT54G, and I don't think it is interference, because even if I sit right next to the router, after 10-15 minutes it still loses connection. I am going to reformat back to panther, check it out on there, then use my tiger disk to update it and see if maybe the updates are causing problems. Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

Just upgraded everything, and it still has problems, only thing I can think of, is maybe reformatting and see if that works. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondagus87
Just upgraded everything, and it still has problems, only thing I can think of, is maybe reformatting and see if that works. Any suggestions?
Reformatting will likely do nothing. That is a Windows 'technique', not a Mac one. The issue has more to do with your connection, not the OS.
I would power cycle your setup first, and see how that goes.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Reformatting will likely do nothing. That is a Windows 'technique', not a Mac one. The issue has more to do with your connection, not the OS.
I would power cycle your setup first, and see how that goes.

When you say power cycle what do you mean? I also forgot to mention that my wifes windows laptop never loses connection, and my windows desktop never loses connection. Makes me wonder why they say macs are so great. Anyways, I would like to figure this out if anybody has any ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondagus87
When you say power cycle what do you mean? I also forgot to mention that my wifes windows laptop never loses connection, and my windows desktop never loses connection. Makes me wonder why they say macs are so great. Anyways, I would like to figure this out if anybody has any ideas.
Help please

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
I have done this many times, and it fixes it sort of. At first the computer is perfect, can browse the internet, listen to itunes radio, and chat, then after 10-15 minutes, the wireless icon in the top right fades from black to grey or whatever color that is, and when I click on it, it doesn't find the network. Sometimes when I close the lid and then open it back up, it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Should I open it up and look around and see if maybe a wire is loose or something?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Linksys USB Adapter Help | IntelMac + Fedora 5 network share; »