New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

DL-714P+ and my MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beckrpgirl

Beckrpgirl is on a distinguished road

I have a wonderful macbook (a convert here) but I am having problems using MY internet connection, I actually get better responce from someone in my area. I would like to get mine running without problems, but am having no luck, I can get it to connect to the DL-714p+ but it goes slow, (really slow, quoted me at 2 days to download 458mbs) Someone please help me! can I get this one to work, or do I need a new router. (and if so will the DL gamming one 4300 work?)
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

I have a couple questions that should help us trouble shoot your problem:

1) Is your wireless router new, or had you been using it since before you got your Mac?
2) Have you tried hard-wiring your MacBook to the router, and if so did that go faster?
3) Are there other computers on your network? If so how are they connected to the router and do they have problems as well?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

First thing I would do if I noticed an extreme slowdown like that is power-cycle the whole setup.
That will do the trick about 90% of the time.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Beckrpgirl

1) Is your wireless router new, or had you been using it since before you got your Mac?
The router is about three years old, never had a problem with it before

2) Have you tried hard-wiring your MacBook to the router, and if so did that go faster?
No, I don't have any cables to do it.

3) Are there other computers on your network? If so how are they connected to the router and do they have problems as well?

Yes, and they all run nice and quick (they are also pcs) they are all hard wired into the network. I have one labtop (pc) and it worked last night.

First thing I would do if I noticed an extreme slowdown like that is power-cycle the whole setup. That will do the trick about 90% of the time.

If that is powering down the whole system, then restarting it I did that, I even turned off all computers that were not being used to see if that would help. Nothing.

This morning I can't even get into the network, by any wireless means (my pc laptop or MacBook)
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckrpgirl

This morning I can't even get into the network, by any wireless means (my pc laptop or MacBook)
Well that would imply that the problem is with the wireless, and not because of the Mac. More than likely, the router is dead, or there is also the possibility that something is squashing your wireless channel. This is actually quite common as most wireless access points default to either channel 11 or 6, so if you are on either of those, your wireless performance will likely suffer.

Go download iStumbler along with the spectrum analyzer widget and see what other wireless networks are around. I used those tools to check the spectrum around my house and increased my wireless range by about %25 just by changing from channel 11 to channel 1. Link is below.

http://www.istumbler.net/
QUOTE Thanks
Beckrpgirl

I went out and got the AirPort Express Base Station, pluged it into the d-link router, and presto! Better wireless service then I've ever had, plus I can now print from anywhere in the house! Thanks for the suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

No problem! I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Ibook g4 and Tmobile razr | Linksys USB Adapter Help »