New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless Access: Windows XP Much Easier

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

i-VTEC

i-VTEC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+

I'm out with my Mac Book and when using Tiger OSX...I spend so much time trying to "barrow" Wireless Access...I have Boot Camp/Windows XP Pro on it and after literally a minute...I'm in...!!!

XP gives me a complete list, telling me which are Secured/Unsecured Networks. Does AirPort Extreme have this...???

Like I said I'm still learning...thanks...!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

No, but there are tools that can show you that information...

I personally like iStumbler-...
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

There are also several Widgets that will do this for you.

However we won't allow you to discuss stealing WiFi here. So I certainly hope that's what you weren't implying.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

There are actually legitimate uses where tools like iStumbler are handy schweb:

When I'm visiting friends, I've found there are so many unsecured access points that OS X just jumps on the next best one it finds. Since my friend has his network hidden, I use iStumbler to find it first and then enter the wpa key.

It's also useful for finding out which channel the other networks near yours are using. All networks near me seem to be on channel 3, which was causing decreased performance. I've switched to a different channel and get much better throughput now!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
It's not iStumbler I have a problem with. It's the original posters comment about "borrowing" WiFi which implies using it without permission.

I agree that iStumbler has some great legitimate uses.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

The iStumbler dashboard widget that shows overlapping wifi signals is very useful when somebody puts a 'default config netgear' out into the wild and it tromps all over other people's signal. I've caught a few like that
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Oh, I missed that...
Yeah dude, don't steal bandwidth! Not unless they've added .public to their access point name...
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich

When I'm visiting friends, I've found there are so many unsecured access points that OS X just jumps on the next best one it finds. Since my friend has his network hidden, I use iStumbler to find it first and then enter the wpa key.

It's also useful for finding out which channel the other networks near yours are using. All networks near me seem to be on channel 3, which was causing decreased performance. I've switched to a different channel and get much better throughput now!
I have to say finding the iStumbler spectrum analyzer was the greatest thing since WiFi. There were 3 networks including mine on channel 11 and one on channel 6 so I moved mine down to channel 1 and the results were amazing! Both my range and speed are very much improved. Thanks iStumbler.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Range Question | Internet speed problems. »