New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Question about wireless...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

farmcock

farmcock has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am connected to internet cable wirelessly and have my airport express plugged in with cable attached to it across the room; however, I want to stream music to my remote speakers which are in another room, so they can't really be connected to this same airport express router - I have to use another router in the other room.

Question - is there any way to get them both running at the same time? I want to be on the internet in my office while streaming music to my family in the other room. Right now I can do them independently by switching between routers but would like them both working simultaneously. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Why can't you use the same router for the remote speakers? I can't think of a reason why it would be impossible to achieve this configuration with only one network.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The only limitation would be if the Wired drop the APEx is connected to is in that room. Other than that, you should just be able to move the APEx to the other room. You could just buy another APEx and put it in the other room.

QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, from the airport express product page (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/):

"Buy more than one AirPort Express Base Station and connect one to every stereo or set of powered speakers in your house one to your stereo in your living room and another to a pair of powered speakers in your kitchen, for example. Its small size and affordability make it perfect for having more than one. Imagine being able to play your iTunes music on whichever speakers in your house you prefer or all at once."

Getting a 2nd airport express seems the way to go if you can't move the cable modem close to the speakers.
QUOTE Thanks
mattbokey

mattbokey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.07GHz; 30GB HDD; 512MB RAM; OS 10.4; 32MB VRAM; Combo Drive

...hmmm that seams weird. How many things are currently connected to your router? You should be able to connect at the very least 4 "items..." but since its wireless you should be able to connect tons of "items" to it... :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
peter_hutson

peter_hutson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4

If I understand you problem correctly, you need to get another airport express. Attach it to you stereo and set it up in "client mode" to join your existing network. Then you can browse the net and stream itunes to the remote speakers at the same time. If you want to stream other audio sources you might need a little application called airfoil.

Hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbokey
...hmmm that seams weird. How many things are currently connected to your router? You should be able to connect at the very least 4 "items..." but since its wireless you should be able to connect tons of "items" to it... :confused:
The airport express has a 3.5mm jack on it so you can plug a set of speakers into it and play music through them. The problem is that farmcock only has one airport express, and the speakers are too far from the cable modem. A 2nd airport express in client mode will fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

If I understood the situation correctly, he's got the APEx connected to his cable modem in room 1, but the speakers are in room 2. If you've got cable access in room 2, why not connect the modem in room 2 with the APEx, plug in your speakers, and surf wirelessly in room 1 (i.e., move the modem and base station in where the speakers are)?

If you can't access your cable in room 2, then a 2nd APEx will be needed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem connecting to Airport with Windows - What's a WEP? | Airport Express Off and On »