New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AirTunes advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tom_hoyle

tom_hoyle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb

Hi guys,

I'm currently getting annoyed at the fact that I have my speaker system and printer cables protruding from the side of my iBook at the moment.

I know of the AirTunes capability that my iBook has (what with the Airport Card inside it) so I started looking at products to enable me to project my music through the air to a speaker system.

I found the Airport Express Basestation

However, before going ahead and buying it I was just wondering if it is necessary to connect it to an internet connection. My house already has a wireless router and I can connect to the internet wirelessly using that so I do not need that feature of the base station.

Could someone let me know if it's fine to use the base station purely for music and printing? Is there another similar product that is only for printing and music?

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I would highly recommend the Airport Express. Mine works flawlessly with wireless printing and wireless music sharing.

In answer to your question, yes, it's fine to use it for just printing and music. It doesn't *need* an internet connection.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I have the Express and love it. There are other wireless print servers out there, and other wireless music servers, but I haven't seen one that does both. The simple wireless print servers can cost between $50-100 along, so the Express isn't that expensive for what it can do.
QUOTE Thanks
tom_hoyle

tom_hoyle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb

the help is much appreciated.

Now I've just got to find some money!

thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
studio34

studio34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06

I have an Airport Express and I like it a lot. When I got it, I used it on the same powered speakers that I connect to my computer to compare the quality and it is identical as far as I can tell. Though I had to move to a separate electrical outlet from my stereo/TV power strip. I was getting the occasional crackle that stopped when I moved the base station to its own power source.

For what it is worth, it is even easy to set up on a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, we use one at work exclusively for music & printing, it works great!

At home I run my internet connection, printer & speakers through it, hasn't let me down once yet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unprotected Wireless Networks? | Networking - Mac to See entire PC »