New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Easy way to set up a home network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

forza1

forza1 is on a distinguished road

I want to set up a home network between my XP desktop and my Macbook. Right now I have a wireless linksys router which I've set up for a wireless network.
How can i create a network between my desktop and laptop so I can swap files between them? If anyone knows of a very user-friendly, easy to follow guide to doing this that would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

If you already have the router, then you are set. Just plug everything in and you are good to go. You should be able to see and swap files between machines by looking for the other computer in "My Network Places" on PC and the "Network" folder in Mac OS X.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Don't forget to turn on "Windows Sharing" in System Preferences>Sharing.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
forza1

I've enabled Windows Sharing in the mac options but when I use Finder to go to the Network all I can see is Library and Servers. If I click Servers, I can see 'tt06-computer.local', which is my laptop.. where do I go from here?

Thanks

edit: so basically i can see my laptop in the Network bit of Finder but not my desktop. how can i make my dekstop visible there?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Try this link, its helped a few people around here:

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

ok... create a folder on your windows and call it Net share or whatever. once created right click on it and choose file sharing. Once you have done that you should be able to go on your mac and select that folder and thats it! Drag and drop files and you will be able to get them on your windows and vice versa

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
forza1

Thanks, I managed to set it up so I can access stuff on my desktop through my macbook and the other way round too. :black:
One last question..In XP (desktop PC) I can go to 'add a network place' and when i type in my macbook IP addy etc it lets the desktop access every single file on my macbook without needing a password. How can I stop this from happening? in XP I can limit the folders the macbook has access to through the network, but when its the other way round the person on the desktop can snoop through all the macbook files and programs.
anyway around this?

cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
Rcadden

when I try this, it asks for a username and password, which is the same on both the pc and the mac, so i put it in and it says it's not valid. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Rcadden

k I changed my password in windows thinking perhaps it was having trouble since they were the same. So now when I go through the steps, trying to view windows on my ibook, it asks for a username and password. It has already filled in the workgroup and username, so all I need to input is a password. I've tried both my windows password and my mac one, neither work. Any suggestions? I thought macs were easy?
QUOTE Thanks
Slinky

hiye.. need help with some networking problem. Basically, i can access MAC files on my PC desktop, however, i can't access the PC files from my ibook. I have enable file sharing on my PC with folder specifically for sharing. I tried the method on http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html but when i'm at the step of connecting my ibook to the PC using the smb:// "IP address"... the ibook couldn't connect to it. Inside my Network on the ibook, i can see my PC name in the WORKGROUP folder, when i double click it and enter the username and password, it says "Alias not found... " Can anyone help me with this? Is it something to do with the port forwarding? if yes, please enlighten me.. i'm bad with the port forwarding stuff. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
komo

i stumbled onto the very same problem, which is just solved itself after i restart the PC. i think the problem doesn't lie on your Mac, but the PC you try to access. have you tried to access that box from computers other than your ibook??
QUOTE Thanks
Slinky

Nope.. haven try access it with other computers coz i only owns a ibook and this PC.. haha. However i suspect it has something to do with my ports maybe... i checked the firewall log and it shows something like this :

2006-06-28T20:48:58+08:00 info src=219.75.39.220 dst=219.75.110.129 ipprot=6 sport=3087 dport=139 Unknown inbound session stopped

2006-06-28T20:48:59+08:00 info Previous log entry repeated 2 times

But its weird tat my PC can access to the MAC but the MAC couldn't connect to the PC. Tried restarting too.. but didn't help. :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
komo

if you can't try to access the pc using another computers, try to access different services on your PC via your Mac. For example, build a webserver or an FTP server on your PC and access it via your Mac.

if those connections works, the problem lies on your Windows shares or on your Mac firewall. if those connections failed, you have connectivity problems (cable, etc)
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

I would check above all to be able to access the Mac thru the PC first, then make sure all sharing was enabled through the PC. If everything followed for the Mac has been followed, it should be on the PC side.
QUOTE Thanks
Slinky

Hmm.. i'm not really sure how to create FTP server.. etc. Pretty basic user here.. haha. But i tink the problem most likely lies with the PC. By the way, i'm not using any cables.. etc. My PC and ibook shares the same modem. Keep getting the Alias not found.. and asked me to delete Alias or fixed Alias. Arghh.. this problem is driving me crazy.. hahaha.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Bandwidth Question | iChat video blocked in hotels? »