SephirothsNight
    OS 9.1 and IP-Over-1394
    I am trying to network an iMac (with OS 9.1) that my friend gave me to my windows XP box via Firewire. I know Windows XP will do IP-Over-1394, but is there a way to do it on 9.1? I can't afford to upgrade to 10.3 as of yet, so I was hoping someone might know of a good way or cheap/free program that would allow me to do IP-Over-1394 on OS 9.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

(P.S This is the first Mac I have ever owned, so I am not too terribly savy when it comes to them. That's why I got it... so I could learn, so please don't be too harsh on me.)

- Dustin K.

Specs:
    Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
    Well,..

Is there a reason not to use an xover cable or ethernet in general?

My answer is I don't know abut IP over FW in OS 9.

SephirothsNight
    Mostly... it's because I am cheap.

Here is my setup. I have 1 windows box, 1 Linux box, and a Mac with OS 9.1. The windows box has a wireless network card, and that is bridged with with the ethernet adapter, which in turn runs to my Linux box. I only have 1 ethernet card in each computer. So I thought I could add the firewire port on my Windows box into the bridge, thus saving me money.

So to recap... I am cheap.

- Dustin K.

Specs:
    MacBook
    If you were planning on spending money on a FW card for your PC, then why not just get a router instead and have a proper network?
    *shrug*

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

SephirothsNight
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    If you were planning on spending money on a FW card for your PC, then why not just get a router instead and have a proper network?
    *shrug*
    Actually, my PC has had a firewire card in it for over a year. That wasn't an expense I was going to incur. As for the router, I have one, but it is in the other end of the house (where the cable modem is).

I can always just use the ethernet from my Linux box on my Mac and just trade it back and forth. I guess this was more of a "I wonder if it can be done" type thing. I hope to upgrade to 10.3 soon, and therefore it won't be a problem. I was just looking for a more immediate fix, and thought I might learn something in the process.

SephirothsNight
    Nevermind. I broke down and bought a copy of OS X 10.3 off of eBay. It will be here soon, and then the problem will be moot. Thanks for the input though.

Thread Information