New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport extreme does not "see" wireless network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thadd677

I'm not too savy with Macs but I do know my way around a little bit. I was helping someone who had an airport extreme put in their mac last week. They have a linksys wireless router setup by another computer. I'm not sure of the Mac model but it has a big flat screen with all the components built right into the back of the screen. Anyway, the airport extreme cannot see the wireless network. Its not listed when I click on the icon in the top right corner. If I try and add it manually, it says there is an error connecting to it. I brought my pc laptop upstairs which connected just fine with an excellent signal. I'm going to try another router to see what happens. Could the airport extreme be faulty?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

It's always possible for the card to be faulty - I'd make sure the antenna is plugged in properly in the computer (if its iMac G5 I'm guessing), check that MAC filtering (if enabled) is not preventing the comp from connecting, if doing it manually double-checking the DHCP lease is renewed, check that the encryption settings match. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
thadd677

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
It's always possible for the card to be faulty - I'd make sure the antenna is plugged in properly in the computer (if its iMac G5 I'm guessing), check that MAC filtering (if enabled) is not preventing the comp from connecting, if doing it manually double-checking the DHCP lease is renewed, check that the encryption settings match. Let us know.
Thanks for the reply. It was in fact a G5 and was very easy to take apart and access the card. The person who previously installed the card did not correctly install the antenna. Its all set, thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

I just had the EXACT same problem. Internet had been running perfectly for months. Was on the net this afternoon as well. Took my wife to dinner. When we came back my Powerbook could not see my network and everytime I tried to enter it manually I got the same message: "There was an error connecting to the network."

My router is upstairs and my Powerbook is in my den, one floor below. Never had any trouble connecting. Anyway. I took the powerbook upstairs so it was close to the router. All of a sudden the Powerbook could see my network and I connected immediately. Took it downstairs (where I'm typing from now) and I've got a full signal.

Although it may be difficult to do with your G5 you may want to try moving the computer (or the router) close together and try again. It worked for me.

Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« establish static ip on network? | More Network Printer Problems »