thadd677
    Airport extreme does not "see" wireless network
    I'm not too savy with Macs but I do know my way around a little bit. I was helping someone who had an airport extreme put in their mac last week. They have a linksys wireless router setup by another computer. I'm not sure of the Mac model but it has a big flat screen with all the components built right into the back of the screen. Anyway, the airport extreme cannot see the wireless network. Its not listed when I click on the icon in the top right corner. If I try and add it manually, it says there is an error connecting to it. I brought my pc laptop upstairs which connected just fine with an excellent signal. I'm going to try another router to see what happens. Could the airport extreme be faulty?

Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    It's always possible for the card to be faulty - I'd make sure the antenna is plugged in properly in the computer (if its iMac G5 I'm guessing), check that MAC filtering (if enabled) is not preventing the comp from connecting, if doing it manually double-checking the DHCP lease is renewed, check that the encryption settings match. Let us know.

thadd677
    Quote Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
    It's always possible for the card to be faulty - I'd make sure the antenna is plugged in properly in the computer (if its iMac G5 I'm guessing), check that MAC filtering (if enabled) is not preventing the comp from connecting, if doing it manually double-checking the DHCP lease is renewed, check that the encryption settings match. Let us know.
    Thanks for the reply. It was in fact a G5 and was very easy to take apart and access the card. The person who previously installed the card did not correctly install the antenna. Its all set, thanks again.

Specs:
    2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
    I just had the EXACT same problem. Internet had been running perfectly for months. Was on the net this afternoon as well. Took my wife to dinner. When we came back my Powerbook could not see my network and everytime I tried to enter it manually I got the same message: "There was an error connecting to the network."

My router is upstairs and my Powerbook is in my den, one floor below. Never had any trouble connecting. Anyway. I took the powerbook upstairs so it was close to the router. All of a sudden the Powerbook could see my network and I connected immediately. Took it downstairs (where I'm typing from now) and I've got a full signal.

Although it may be difficult to do with your G5 you may want to try moving the computer (or the router) close together and try again. It worked for me.

Good Luck!

Thread Information