New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

VPN Client

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

I am trying to set up a VPN connection in OS X (newest version of Tiger). It's a PPTP connection with an IP address, username and password. I have tested the connection with a couple of 3rd party VPN clients and they work, however the OS X one won't but I imagine it should.

Are there logs anywhere that I can check to see what's wrong?

Does anyone know if the VPN client supports MS-CHAP or CHAP? I imagine it does, it's an industry standard, but thought I'd check

*EDIT* I've found the logs and it says that it connects, then straight afterwards, it says KEXTLOAD crashed then it says that the connection fails as there is no supported PPTP protocol.....

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

I messed with this about 9 months ago. I could not find a way for the default OS PPTP client to connect using MS-CHAP. I could connect to my Mac Sever just fine, but not my production firewall. The VPN client is not a strong point of OS X. It may be possible, but I gave up after a few hours and just had my company by me this

http://www.gracion.com/vpn/

Works for me, though it looks like he has doubled the price since I got it.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

not what I wanted to hear I have access to the Cisco VPN client, but it's a pain to install and I'd rather use the built in OS app whenever possible. However if it's not possible then I'll go back to the Cisco one.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

It might be possible. I burned more time then I wanted to on this but I did not really go too in depth on it.

I remember searching for that KEXTLOAD error, I just don't remember what I found to make me decide it was not worth the effort. Wish I could be more help.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

Even that in itself is a big help, at least it means I didn't do something to make it crash, so it's not just me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble Connecting imac to Linksys | Airport express drop-out.. »