New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Stuff

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gideon

I'm in ignoramus, I freely admit it.

I'm having a hard time understanding Airport, Airport Extreme and the Base Station in terms of what they are, how they're different and why. If I plan to buy a system and know ahead of time that I'll want a cable modem, how do I determine my needs? It seems that Apple's support site assumes that people with questions are already on Macs.

Any advice on where to find very simple explanations?
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon
I'm in ignoramus, I freely admit it.

I'm having a hard time understanding Airport, Airport Extreme and the Base Station in terms of what they are, how they're different and why. If I plan to buy a system and know ahead of time that I'll want a cable modem, how do I determine my needs? It seems that Apple's support site assumes that people with questions are already on Macs.

Any advice on where to find very simple explanations?
Airport/Airport Extreme can be broken down into two basic parts. There is the Airport card, which is Apple's version of a wireless networking card. Then there is the Airport base station, which is Apple's version of a wireless network router. The difference between Airport and Airport Extreme is the speed at which data can be transmitted over the wireless network. Airport's maximum is 11Mbps, while Extreme's maximum is 54Mbps. As far as which you'll need, there isn't really an option. Certain Macs are compatible with Airport cards (like my G3 iBook), and others are compitible with Extreme cards. Regarding the base statino, Apple now only offers the Extreme version, which is compatible with both Airport and Extreme cards.

So to summarize, once you buy your Mac, you'll know if you need the Airport or Extreme card. You can then combine that with the Extreme base station, and you'll be all set with your wireless network.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Xyphus

I have a question, if you don't mind me poking in.. I just recently purchased an iBook G3 and was planning on integrating it with my current home network. At the moment, I am just using the ethernet port, and it works like a charm However, it would be nice to be able to surf from the living room, instead of tethered to the Router/Switch in the office. My question is that after I buy an Airport card, do I have to purchase the Apple Base Station, or will any 802.11b access point work? I would like to be able to just add something to my current router/switch setup instead of having to figure a way to replace it all if there is no other route than to buy the Apple Base Station.

Any info appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You don't need to buy the apple base station. Any old Wireless Router is fine. I currently use the Linksys 802.11b 4 port router/Access Point and it works great. You can get it for like 80 bucks or less
QUOTE Thanks
Gideon

Thanks for all of your input. Regarding the router too. Amen-Moses mentioned in another post that he uses that as well (I just wasn't sure what it was at the time).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .home networking. | Networks »