New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Shared IP problems!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kel95

kel95 is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

I'm a complete newbie here, but my faith is in you guys. I have some serious network trouble going on here and no one in my neighborhood seems qualified to help me.

I have a brand new Airport Time Capsule 3TB at our house which sets up a new network apart from my original router, and that signal is being extended by some TP-Link extenders. Everything works fine, except for the fact that all our mac's (and sometimes even our iPhones and iPads at the house, although they recover much faster than the computers) seem to have trouble with connecting. I get the good old exclamation mark in the wifi image stating that there is 'another device using my IP address". Signal is fine, just can't connect due to this problem.

My technical thinking doesn't go any further than renewing the DHCP lease (which works, sometimes, very limited) and turn everything on and off again, which will get it all to work for a limited amount of time again. Is there something basic I can do about this? Nothing drives me more crazy than a malfunctioning wi-fi connection :')

Details:
Macs:
Macbook Pro 13" Retina OS X 10.9.3 (late 2013)
iMac 21,5" OSX 10.9.3 (late 2009)
iMac 20" OSX 10.5.7 (early 2008)

Mobile devices:
1 iPhone 4S, 1 iPhone 5, 2 iPhone 5S
1 iPad Air

ps- sorry if this is a FAQ *walks towards the corner of shame*
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

have you switched the wifi signal from your original router off?

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
kel95

That's a pretty good question. The only thing I did is connect the Airport Time Capsule to the original router with an ethernet cable, I didn't change anything on the original router. Could that cause problems? (I am such a noob when it comes to these kind of things..)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

What's happening here, most likely, is that you have two routers trying to do the job of a router. Having both wifi networks on isn't going to cause this kind of issue.

Out of the box both routers are providing DHCP facilities - i.e. dishing out IP addresses on your network. It's like two people at the phone company giving people new phone numbers from the same list without talking to one another about who's got what.

You have several choices. But the easiest solution is to use Airport Utility to put your Time Capsule into 'bridge mode'. This way it takes it's own IP and behaviour from the existing router and the network world will be a happy place once more.

In the long term, you may wish to consider doing away with your original router and connecting the modem direct to the Time Capsule in 'full' router mode and let that manage the entire network.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Last edited by mrplow; 07-14-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: switched Time Capsule in favour of Airport Extreme
QUOTE Thanks
kel95

I will try the bridge mode and see if it goes well - quite ironically my wifi has been pretty good since this morning when I posted this, so let's hope this will all be just fine. Thank you so much!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The issue will only occur when you get a device connecting through the old router and a device connecting through the Time Capsule.

This is more likely to occur when you have many active devices at the same time. But one way or another you can't have more than one DHCP server on a network unless they are using different ranges/subnets etc. But that's overkill from a home network. Using retiring the old router or putting the TC in bridge mode are the most practical approaches

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I keep getting scary messages. Are they a problem? | Forcing OSX to connect to a specific channel/SSID? »