New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iPad won't connect to wi-fi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skeeter38

skeeter38 is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,

I am using a macbook and an iPhone 4S to connect to the internet via a
linksys router. This has been working just fine for 2 years. Now my niece and nephew are visiting and they have the mini-pads. We have tried everything but they won't connect to our network.

Why would iPhone and other MacBooks and other phones connect but not the iPad?

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Well, let me start w/ a simple question, i.e. is your Wi-Fi network protected (e.g. WEP, WPA, etc.) indicating a need for a password? Dave
QUOTE Thanks
skeeter38

No, it is not password protected
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

These are Apple iPads?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter38 View Post
No, it is not password protected
OK - the simple answer did not work - sorry (BUT, I would suggest that you pass protect your Wi-Fi network in the future, esp. if you have neighbors that can connect).

SO, some more information - are your relative's iPads seeing your network, i.e. is the network name showing up on their iPads (this is the SSID of your network, i.e. it's name) - routers can be set to not broadcast, so that could be an issue? If so, they will need to enter that name.

If that is not the issue, I would next suggest that you 'power recycle' your modem & router, i.e. unplug both (if separate) the re-power sequentially, i.e. modem first and then the router - let me stop there to see if these suggestions help. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Get them to restart their iPad Mini and then try again. When you touch the WiFi Networks in Settings, and you have Available Networks Show up, click on your Network, then go to the Back of the Linksy Router and look for the password on the Back of the Router and try applying that to the network they are trying to connect to.
When you first set up the router, it will by default use the password on the back of the router for your security to stop others using it. You just might have forgotten it has a pa because you have used it for so long ?? (My sister did just this )

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
skeeter38

Hi Y'all, I wanted to let you know this problem was solved. It was a bad router. Thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Google Chrome | MacBook Pro to panasonic DMR-PWT530 wifi ?? »