New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Express, making no sense ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Koffielepel

Koffielepel is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna try to be as accurate as possible to describe my problem.

My macbook pro connects wireless to my modem (bbox-0b98) with no problem!
I want to add my Airport Express 802.11n to current network (bbox-0b98)
I follow the setup, I choose options, add to existing network and I choose bbox-0b98
Then I fill in the password (same one as the WEP for my modem). When all is done, it suddenly fails to connect to bbox-0b98 and thus the whole setup fails. I have to remove the network from my history thru the settings in order to connect again to my network and to the internet.

I can't find a way to add it to my network, what am I doing wrong?

I want to use airplay and to be able to connect wireless to my modem so I can connect to the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Make sure you have the latest version of Airport Utility, and once that sees it usually in 'other devices' top left, click on it, and follow the prompts.

EDIT : Im pretty sure that the latest Airport Express don't support WEP. You might have to up the Modem Security to WAP 2 for you to get the Airport Express to connect as it should. I remember someone having this problem some time back, and I'm pretty sure this was the solution.

Apple takes security pretty seriously, and a 7 yr old could crack into a WEP wireless network in about 5 minutes with the right tools. You need to up that for your security anyway. That would be my suggestion.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

According to Apple, WEP is still supported but not recommended.

OP: Please read the following Apple KB article regarding setting up your AE using WEP.

LINK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Limit Bandwidth on Shared Network Help | Safari Hanging »