New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Limit Bandwidth on Shared Network Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

north_guy

north_guy is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I am the account holder of an internet account shared between three families. I have a new 2GB Time Capsule as the router with an airport extreme extending the signal. Our internet is satellite internet and extremely slow so we all have the hand-shake agreement that we will not use Skype/FaceTime/Netflix and that it will only be used for browsing and/or messaging.

I know that one family is constantly using Skype and FaceTime to speak with relatives thereby constantly slowing the internet making it un-usable for the rest of us.

I am looking at options to limit their bandwidth. I know that I can't do that with the Time Capsule and/or Extreme so am looking for opinions on non-apple routers. Please send me some links with recommendations for possible routers with which I could limit bandwidth for all users (would prefer to be able to set up a guest account with limited bandwidth).

Thanks a bunch!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Big problem with unfriendly family members or beighbours.

Have a read of this for suggestions:-

networking - Options for bandwidth management on a shared internet connection - Super User

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

To start there are a lot of different Modem/Routers out there, from D-Link, Buffalo, Netgear and so on, so it comes down to how much you want to spend too.
Saying that, I have the NetGear DGND4300 (DGND denotes a Australian version) . . .
With this router, I have 2 bands, that I use to set up WiFi for me and the missus, and off them, I have the Kids WiFi set up for them, as Guest Networks. There are 3 Guest Networks for each bandwidth, so all up, I have 8 possible different networks set up.

For you, you could set up the 2.4Ghtz as your Primary Network, for you, and off that, set up 2 Guest Accounts, each one for the other 2 Families, and then restrict the Bandwidth they have, and/or the time they can use it.
For me, I have the kids slowed to 300mps and it turns off and 930pm and comes on again at 630am.
So you could drop their Bandwidth to a place where they don't get a good connection, enough to restrict the FaceTime and Skype calls. At what speed this needs to be ?? That, all I found was a mention from a Article from Anandtech say 100-150Kbps for smooth FaceTime, so slowing to that much, would slow their network considerably. . . . But latest writings, Apple say you need a network speed of 1Mbps for HD Video upload/download stream. So with those numbers, you get a idea of what you need to do to restrict them.

Now all the latest Routers would have These features, and I have given you 1 option, and thats because I haven't had a problem with NetGear for the last 3-4 yrs, and their CSR is very good too.

HTH

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 'ghost' emails | Airport Express, making no sense ... »