New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Cyber Attack 'To Hit In Next Two Weeks'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman is on a distinguished road

Another cyber attack is in the offering within the next couple of weeks.

Which is the best protection for a Mac? Are there any good free ones?

Only a couple of weeks ago there was a headline saying that it was a waste of money to invest in anti-virus software as the hackers are so skilled now that they can bypass most of them so it's all a bit confusing!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/cyber-atta...l?vp=1#TLXh3MZ
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The threats in the link you've provided only affects variants of Windows and Windows server.

They also need the recipient to open an email attachment.

Your best defence is not opening attachments. If you have to, only from sources you can be certain of and never open attachments from anything pro-porting to be from a financial or government institution.

I'd suggest going to www.getsafeonline.org but the site is creaking under the strain from all the hits after this hitting the media today

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman is on a distinguished road

Many thanks, good to be Mac isn't it! And no, I never open attachments, in fact I don't open emails unless I recognise the sender!
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar-caveman View Post
Another cyber attack is in the offering within the next couple of weeks
Well, it's more like those, who have their systems compromised, and are part of zombie botnet, might have up to two weeks to clean their systems, before the bad guys will re-take control ...

Personally, I think the timeframe is very optimistic, but them it would be embarrassing for the governments to say "we can only hold it for a couple of days, hurry up, will ya" lol

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Another cyber attack is in the offering within the next couple of weeks.
Cyber attacks happen all the time.

Quote:
Many thanks, good to be Mac isn't it!
Careful, don't become complacent.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Agreed. Best line of defence is the user

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Or more succintly mrplow - the nut behind the wheel.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Both Cryptolocker and GOzeuS have been around for some months now. They are windows based and require a user to interact by clicking on an email attachment. I did extensive work educating everyone at work. And now they forward any questionable emails to me so I can look at it .... on my mac.

It's all about the educated user.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lock screen and disconnected internet | How to stop HTML5 auto play? »