New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme...what does this number mean?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScubaDachshund

ScubaDachshund is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone4, MBP

I just bought an Airport Extreme to replace a router that died. Works great. Have a couple of questions. First, how do I save something to the USB hard drive I've attached to the Airport Extreme? I've attached it and it shows in Airport Utility but can't seem to save anything to it.

Second, there is a number that appears by the Airport Extreme symbol in the Airport Utility. I can't find what it represents. I'm going to try to attach a screen capture of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf capture of airport utility.pdf (65.1 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Click on the number and it will either show it has new firmware or an issue that needs addressing.
What and how are you trying to send to the USB drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Give this a read Link

Once the drive is on the desktop you can have it mount automatically at each login by adding it to your login items.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaDachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Click on the number and it will either show it has new firmware or an issue that needs addressing.
What and how are you trying to send to the USB drive?
I tried clicking on the number. Nothing happened.

I tried doing a time machine back up to the USB drive attached to the router. No go. From reading further it seems that it won't work for time machine back ups. Tried accessing some files on the USB drive and couldn't.
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaDachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Give this a read Link

Once the drive is on the desktop you can have it mount automatically at each login by adding it to your login items.
Thanks for the link. Still doing something wrong. Now I can see the drive but still can't see the files on it or save anything on it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Is the drive formatted for Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaDachshund View Post
I tried clicking on the number. Nothing happened.
Because this number denotes the errors that you have with whatever Airport device you have connected.
My advice is to start from scratch which is to remove the power cord, hold in the reset button and attach the cord while still holding in the rest button for about 20-30 secs, and let Airport Utility find it and reconfigure it.
Works every time with me.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I think it is best if you have the newest version of Airport as well. I think I remember that some older versions will not work with the usb.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Pony View Post
I think it is best if you have the newest version of Airport as well. I think I remember that some older versions will not work with the usb.
It's worth checking out but I don't think that is an issue. I have an older Time Capsule that works fine with drives. If ScubaDachshund's machine can see the drive but not write to it I think something else is going on.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaDachshund

Finally figured out what the number was about. It wanted me to update Airport Utility. Never did get the USB drive to work so I disconnected it. I'll just have to use a cable to make my time machine back ups. Thanks to all for taking the time to answer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme problem? | omniweb browser on OS X 4.11 and a Quicksilver »