Specs:
    iPhone4, MBP
    Airport Extreme...what does this number mean?
    I just bought an Airport Extreme to replace a router that died. Works great. Have a couple of questions. First, how do I save something to the USB hard drive I've attached to the Airport Extreme? I've attached it and it shows in Airport Utility but can't seem to save anything to it.

Second, there is a number that appears by the Airport Extreme symbol in the Airport Utility. I can't find what it represents. I'm going to try to attach a screen capture of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Click on the number and it will either show it has new firmware or an issue that needs addressing.
    What and how are you trying to send to the USB drive?

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Give this a read Link

Once the drive is on the desktop you can have it mount automatically at each login by adding it to your login items.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    iPhone4, MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    Click on the number and it will either show it has new firmware or an issue that needs addressing.
    What and how are you trying to send to the USB drive?
    I tried clicking on the number. Nothing happened.

I tried doing a time machine back up to the USB drive attached to the router. No go. From reading further it seems that it won't work for time machine back ups. Tried accessing some files on the USB drive and couldn't.

Specs:
    iPhone4, MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Give this a read Link

Once the drive is on the desktop you can have it mount automatically at each login by adding it to your login items.
    Thanks for the link. Still doing something wrong. Now I can see the drive but still can't see the files on it or save anything on it.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Is the drive formatted for Mac?

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDachshund View Post
    I tried clicking on the number. Nothing happened.
    Because this number denotes the errors that you have with whatever Airport device you have connected.
    My advice is to start from scratch which is to remove the power cord, hold in the reset button and attach the cord while still holding in the rest button for about 20-30 secs, and let Airport Utility find it and reconfigure it.
    Works every time with me.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
    I think it is best if you have the newest version of Airport as well. I think I remember that some older versions will not work with the usb.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pony View Post
    I think it is best if you have the newest version of Airport as well. I think I remember that some older versions will not work with the usb.
    It's worth checking out but I don't think that is an issue. I have an older Time Capsule that works fine with drives. If ScubaDachshund's machine can see the drive but not write to it I think something else is going on.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    iPhone4, MBP
    Finally figured out what the number was about. It wanted me to update Airport Utility. Never did get the USB drive to work so I disconnected it. I'll just have to use a cable to make my time machine back ups. Thanks to all for taking the time to answer.

Thread Information