New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

windows 8.1 and wireless printing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

I've had to buy my daughter a laptop (windows 8.1) for her school work and am having problems getting it to see our printer.

The printer is on and connected to our Airport Extreme via its USB cable. Both our iMac and macbook see it and print from it wirelessly without any problems.

My daughter's laptop is connected to our home network via wireless but I am unable to find the printer on our network.

Help please before I throw a new shiny laptop out the window!

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
leadfoot

leadfoot is on a distinguished road

Check on the network under system preference for sharing. Also under windows on whether the wireless has access to other network via software installing of printer. Might also worth checking with the printer manufacture for update for both OS
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
My daughter's laptop is connected to our home network via wireless but I am unable to find the printer on our network.
You didn't mention which printer you have but I suspect you will have to go through its wireless setup for Windows and maybe download a driver for Windows 8.1 since that's a fairly new version of Windows. Although Windows 8 and maybe even Windows 7 drivers will likely work since the driver model for Windows 8 is the same as 7.
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Thank you both. The printer isn't a wireless model but is connected to my Airport Express. Printer sharing is switched to on.

The printer (a Canon Pixma ix6550) isn't physically connected to my iMac or Macbook but I can print from both as though it were a wireless printer.

I guess the issue is getting the windows laptop connected to the network in such a way that it can see the printer. At present it is connected for internet access but nothing else I guess.

QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

You will need to install the driver and software to the Windows 8.1 pc. When you're doing that you should get a prompt to search the network for your printer.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

thanks ferrarr

the printer's software is asking for a physical connection to the printer

QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

sorry for the bump but have now resolved this. in case anyone else is looking for a solution, then it's here:

Windows Printing For Apple AirPort Extreme without Bonjour Wireless wifi - YouTube

many thanks to the gentleman who posted this video - it's for windows 7 but is easy enough (hey, I did it!!) for windows 8.1

just to confirm I did have bonjour installed on my daughter's laptop but could not get it to see the printer

Last edited by nickyr; 05-21-2014 at 05:13 PM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pinging an ip address and getting a hostname in return? | BT F-On »