Specs:
    late 2012 IMac 27", early 2015 MBPr, early 2014 MBA, mid 2010 MB (10.12.1), iPhone 6 (iOS 10).
    windows 8.1 and wireless printing
    I've had to buy my daughter a laptop (windows 8.1) for her school work and am having problems getting it to see our printer.

The printer is on and connected to our Airport Extreme via its USB cable. Both our iMac and macbook see it and print from it wirelessly without any problems.

My daughter's laptop is connected to our home network via wireless but I am unable to find the printer on our network.

Help please before I throw a new shiny laptop out the window!
    Johann Gambolputty de Von Ausfern....

Check on the network under system preference for sharing. Also under windows on whether the wireless has access to other network via software installing of printer. Might also worth checking with the printer manufacture for update for both OS

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    My daughter's laptop is connected to our home network via wireless but I am unable to find the printer on our network.
    You didn't mention which printer you have but I suspect you will have to go through its wireless setup for Windows and maybe download a driver for Windows 8.1 since that's a fairly new version of Windows. Although Windows 8 and maybe even Windows 7 drivers will likely work since the driver model for Windows 8 is the same as 7.

Specs:
    late 2012 IMac 27", early 2015 MBPr, early 2014 MBA, mid 2010 MB (10.12.1), iPhone 6 (iOS 10).
    Thank you both. The printer isn't a wireless model but is connected to my Airport Express. Printer sharing is switched to on.

The printer (a Canon Pixma ix6550) isn't physically connected to my iMac or Macbook but I can print from both as though it were a wireless printer.

I guess the issue is getting the windows laptop connected to the network in such a way that it can see the printer. At present it is connected for internet access but nothing else I guess.

Specs:
    thanks ferrarr

the printer's software is asking for a physical connection to the printer

Specs:
    sorry for the bump but have now resolved this. in case anyone else is looking for a solution, then it's here:

Windows Printing For Apple AirPort Extreme without Bonjour Wireless wifi - YouTube

many thanks to the gentleman who posted this video - it's for windows 7 but is easy enough (hey, I did it!!) for windows 8.1

just to confirm I did have bonjour installed on my daughter's laptop but could not get it to see the printer
    Last edited by nickyr; 05-21-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Thread Information