New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Maverick 10.9.2 Not Allowing Static IP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gaspower

gaspower is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Since going to 10.9.2, I have not been able to get a static IP (192.168.1.6) on my Mac. Only DHCP seems to work? I use WiFi through my Mac to a AP and then to my router and out. Router is set to the following,

Linksys Router (BEFSR41 V3)
Local DHCP Server enabled
DHCP address range 192.168.1.40 - 192.168.1.189

Thanks JR
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

I am confused by your sentence " I have not been able to get a static IP .... "
You do not GET a static IP, you SET a static IP.
Do you mean that your router is giving out IP addresses but your Mac does not get any ?

If you want to set a static IP address to your Mac, you can do that in System preferences / Network / < choose your network adapter > / TCP/IP and select Manual instead of DHCP.
Then type your IP address, a correct subnet mask and the correct gateway.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
gaspower

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. My apologies. I meant to say, DHCP works fine, and when I have the Mac set to DHCP, I can access the internet. But as soon as I set to a static IP (192.168.1.6) as how you mentioned through preferences, I loose internet access. The subnet and gateway are correct in preferences? This only seems to be after I updated to 10.9.2?

Thanks JR
QUOTE Thanks
gaspower

Sorry, I should have asked. It should not make a difference that the DHCP address range 192.168.1.40 - 192.168.1.189, correct. Setting to a static IP at 192.168.1.6 should work not being in the DHCP range.

Thanks JR
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

gas power you do not 'set' the address in preferences. This is done automatically when you first set up your Network using 192.168.1.6 with your web browser to make the setting, security, WiFi etc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gaspower

Hello harryb2448,

I do thank you for the reply. But if I want to mac my Mac to use a static IP instead of DHCP, it is configured through preferences and the adapter then to the tcp/ip tab. There you change it from either to obtain from DHCP or give the computer a static ip address. Once I give my Mac a static IP, it looses the internet. I go back to DHCP, I get the internet back?

Thanks JR
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 256GB SSD

If you have set a static IP address in your mac and you are positive that the subnet is correct and the gateway is set to your linksys router in your mac, you might try the following:

Going into the linksys router and making a reservation. You can do this by entering the MAC address of your computer's wireless network adapter then set the ip address. This should force the linksys router to hold the ip address for your mac.

I am assuming the Access Point is not the problem, which it shouldn't be.

Hope this helps.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
hyperinert

hyperinert is on a distinguished road

Don't know if this thread was resolved, but I think I am having the same problem. I am familiar with setting up static IPs, I've done many. Now, using OS X 10.9.2, when I set up a static IP I lose internet access. The network settings show my mac is connected to the wireless router. I can log into the router and it lists the computer as an attached device with the IP address I specified. But I cannot access the internet. I created an address reservation for it in the the router and it did not change anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

There are 4 parts to the IP address game that need to be addressed before you can access the internet. The first is the IP address that each device gets, the second is the netmask to ensure that you are in the right subnet, the third is the gateway to which all of your packets are routed and the fourth is the DNS that does the name => IP address conversion for you.

When you use DHCP, all 4 pieces of information are sent to your machine and configured. If you switch to static IP on your machine alone, you have set all 4 pieces of information AND you have to go into the router and specifically exclude that static IP or a range of them from the possible IP addresses that could be given out by the DHCP server.

To that end, what you should do to set a static IP address is NOT to do it on the end device, but rather at the router end. You go into the DHCP server and used a fixed (from the DHCP servers perspective) address for a specific device based on it's MAC (not to be confused with Mac) address which is globally unique.

So in the DHCP server/router you say device with MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx always gets IP address 192.168.1.6.

The DHCP server will now hand out a fixed IP address, but also the other 3 pieces of information as well to ensure your network/Internet connectivity continues to work..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 256GB SSD

I agree with Raz0rEdge. It would be easier to set up the router with an IP reservation for the MAC address of the computer. Leave the computer set to use DHCP and then the router will assign the reserved IP to it.

The only time I ever set a static IP on anything is if it is absolutely necessary. Examples would be a printers, a server, a router, or a switch. Basically on resources that everyone will be sharing especially if it is wireless.

As to setting it at the computer you will have to input the IP address, subnet, and gateway. Usually the gateway will have the DNS server addresses but that can also be set at the computer and usually there are at least two DNS servers in case one is down.

But I still say let the router (if this is a home setup) or server (if you have a dedicated server) do all the reserving and leave the computer on DHCP if you really must have a static IP.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Ashwin and Lisa already explained the correct way of setting static IPs on your network, I just wanted to reassure the OP and hyperinert that, if configured correctly, upgrading to Mavericks does not, in any way, disrupt the network (of course!): all my devices, and there are quite a few, have static IPs and nothing changed since both MBPro and MBAir were updated.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
ecoolman

ecoolman is on a distinguished road

I was experiencing this same issue on Mavericks 10.9.4. What resolved it for me was to click on the "DNS" tab, and add the following DNS entries (to use Google DNS):

Once I applied this, internet connectivity was restored.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspower View Post
Hello,

Since going to 10.9.2, I have not been able to get a static IP (192.168.1.6) on my Mac. Only DHCP seems to work? I use WiFi through my Mac to a AP and then to my router and out. Router is set to the following,

Linksys Router (BEFSR41 V3)
Local DHCP Server enabled
DHCP address range 192.168.1.40 - 192.168.1.189

Thanks JR
QUOTE Thanks
djmarko413

djmarko413 is on a distinguished road

Thank you ecoolman. I was experiencing the exact same problem and making those entries in the DNS tab resolved my problem. Thanks again.

Rich
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HDD for backup | Adding a Switch used to be easy... »