New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

IP CCTV Camera's & Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andi Licious

Andi Licious is on a distinguished road

HI Guys,

I am looking at what options I have for CCTV around my home.

I have an always on Mini Server that is connected through HDMI to my TV in my living room and I want to use this as my access system. I need the cameras accessible from my iPhone / iPad as I work away a lot and this is the reasoning behind the cameras.

I want the cameras to be PIR activated so they only record when there is movement so it saves on HD space.

Has anyone used the IP camera's and if so are they any good?

The cameras I am looking at are the wired type and will take as much installing as standard CCTV cameras, I just feel that IP cameras are a more modern idea and will future proof me a little. I might have a wireless camera added at a later date to watch some wildlife in the trees next to my house but thats a nice to have and not related to security.

Has anyone any sugestions on both hardware and software? Also do the cameras just wire back into a standard switch and the video handled by software?

If the IP cameras are no good be honest and tell me! I am satisfied I will be rolling around in an itchy loft for a day or two but I only want to do it once, not twice to put up normal CCTV after I have been let down!

If you have a better suggestion than IP cameras & software please can you recommend it, but bear in mind I want it connected through my network and displayed on my TV ideally through the Mac Mini Server and accessible from any internet connection.

I will be trawling through the site for assistance setting up my fixed IP as I have one but I cant get in it yet.. But thats ongoing so far.

Thanks,

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
Andi Licious

?????
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

IP cameras are good, just make sure you change the passwords from the default or they can be accessed from anyone on the net.
As far as software, I've used SecuritySpy before and had no problems.
http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Andi Licious

Thanks for that Craig, looks good software but a little expensive.

Does anyone know any free softwares I can use for at least a trials period to see if its working how I want?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need some help building a network. | Maverick Local Host Not Working Correctly »