New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Extending my wifi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PeterC4

PeterC4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram

Not sure if I have accomplished much, but thought I would ask. I have converted to Bell Fibe for TV/Internet and have a new modem/connection hub made by Sagecom. I retired my Airport Extreme router to the side of my desk, until today. I have a lot of devices working wirelessly in my home....iPads, Televisions (Bell Fibe works wirelessly) and Smartphones. I started using Netflix and it required a few reboots to play a program I was watching. I turned off a few devices and Netflix was fine. My thought was the devices could be interfering with my signal which has a published speed of 25 Mbps. So here's what I did.

I plugged in my Apple Extreme router directly into my connection hub via CAT5, fired it up and found the network name in my network preferences on my iMac. I logged in and voila, it worked. Now here is the question. Is this really effective? That is, if I use a few devices, say like my Smartphones and iMac with the Extreme and the others with my Sagecom connection hub which is running the TVs, am I any better off? The Extreme always had good range. Appreciate the feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

Didn't think it was that tough a question. Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

We'll after dedicating my Apple Extreme router to my TV that has a built-in Netflix it seems to improve connectivity. The Extreme has good wireless range for sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac slow internet, makes others slow too. | Please Help...Noob and I'm lost...Internet is all messed up :( »