New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

A good wifi extender

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macjones573

Macjones573 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know a good way to extend Wi-Fi signal? My wireless router is in the living room but I am not getting a good wireless signal in the bedroom. It allows me to stream movies but they are very slow and choppy and constantly stop. What are my options in terms of extending my signal or making my signal stronger?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Can you tell us which router or router - modem combination you're using? There are numerous WiFi extenders that are sold by various stores on the web.

If you happen to own an Apple router (Airport Base Station) you can extend the WiFi easily with an Apple Airport Express device ($99) from Apple.

Here's a sample of what's available from Netgear: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
Macjones573

I have a Linksys E3000 wireless router. I also have already bought a TP-link range extender model tl-wa850re. This seems to give the illusion of me having all bars. But it still won't stream hulu, netflix, etc. despite showing 2-3 bars.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You have to understand that a WiFi extender is just that - it simply extends the signal to areas where it was not able to propagate with enough strength. The fact that you can't stream Hulu or Netflix has more to do with your connection speed rather than signal strength. The signal does have to be strong enough, however, a slow connection will cause buffering to occur and that interrupts streaming.
QUOTE Thanks
Macjones573

So what should I do? Do I need a new wireless router?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

What is your current speed that you get to the router wired and wireless ?
QUOTE Thanks
Macjones573

My current wired speed is 21.46mbps download speed and 2.25Mbps upload speed.

I'm not 100% sure how to test the wireless speed.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Turn on your wireless and run this .Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
QUOTE Thanks
Macjones573

Download speed 7.94 Mbps, Upload 1.78 Mbps. It also looks like I have about 30 other connections on my wifi channel. Do you think switching to a different channel would help?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

What do you mean "30 other connections on your WiFi channel"? Aren't you using encryption between the router and your Mac? Your download speed using WiFi is too slow to maintain good streaming. If you're router is already secured, go ahead and change to another channel to see if that makes a difference.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macjones573 View Post
Download speed 7.94 Mbps, Upload 1.78 Mbps. It also looks like I have about 30 other connections on my wifi channel. Do you think switching to a different channel would help?
Possibly. Note that the lower channels generally offer longer range. Aside from this, consider moving the wireless router to a physically higher location and make sure it's central to your home.

Also, make sure the wireless router is far away from any other device that emits RF - that includes cordless phone bases, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc. If your home is less than 3000 sq. ft, chances are there's no need for a WiFi extender.

In my 10+ years of doing WiFi installations and surveying problems, I've never once run into a situation where a WiFi extender was truly necessary. Nearly all WiFi issues are solvable by changing channels, proper physical placement, quality of the router (or lack thereof) and sometimes antenna adjustments (where possible - some routers have fixed antennas).

WiFi extenders seem like the easy way out, but they often cause more trouble than they're worth.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Macjones573

I'm sorry, the connection is secure. By 30 other connections I mean when I click Wi-fi icon and it looks for networks I see mine (which is protected) but I also see every other network in the neighborhood. When I then go into system information and look at my wi-fi I see all the networks in my area and most of that 30 are on the same channel.
QUOTE Thanks
Macjones573

I just read the second part of your last post. I am working to change the channel now. If that doesn't work I believe I may have to consider moving the router to a more central location between the two rooms. I am trying to avoid that option since my tower is wired directly to it via ethernet
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

You will also find better performance using WPA2 only on newer Mac's if you have not done so already.
I am not a big fan of Linksys consumer routers and think Apple ,Netgear and Asus make better longer range units or at least thats been my experience with Netgear's Nighthawk being a beast in both performance and price.
I am currently using a new Time Capsule and it covers my entire house while giving me continuos wireless backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Macjones573

If it was between the Apple Airport w/ time machine or the netgear Nighthawk would you go Nighthawk?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do i stop firefox from auto entering password? | Need some help building a network. »