Airport extreme reliability question
    Hi,

I bought airport extreme refurbished model from apple online store in May 2012 (newest model at the time). It was flawless for about a year. Not a single reboot or signal drop. For the last several months, it has been dropping connection more and more often, now several times a day. Power cycling fixes the issue, but only temporarily. Sometimes, I have to reboot several times to get the internet to work. I do have the latest available firmware and use it with macbook pro.

Just wondering if this is typical behavior. This is the first apple router I owned. Had Iphone before and not a single crash in over 3 years. For this price, I expected at least 3-4 years of service. Looks like it is dying now though. I will take it to the apple store, but just wanted to get other opinions/suggestions.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Are you 100% sure that the recent problems are not related to spotty service from your ISP (Internet Service Provider)? Maybe the Airport Extreme is fine.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Not 100% sure but close. I do have a work desktop PC hardwired directly to comcast receiver bypassing the router, and it works just fine.

Also, it is not just the wireless service that interrupts. Several peripherals (VoiP phone) are hardwired to the router, and they go down as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by sophie999 View Post
    Not 100% sure but close. I do have a work desktop PC hardwired directly to comcast receiver bypassing the router, and it works just fine.

Also, it is not just the wireless service that interrupts. Several peripherals (VoiP phone) are hardwired to the router, and they go down as well.
    Had to ask. Now we have a better idea of the overall situation.

Considering that you've restarted/rebooted the Airport Extreme multiple times…and the issue repeats itself…it is possible that the Airport Extreme is having issues.

There's really not a whole lot of things that can be done…other than what you've already done. There aren't parts that can be replaced…and it already has the latest firmware.

I guess nothing lasts forever.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by sophie999 View Post

Thanks for the reply.
    I have had this exact problem...faulty router. It used to get very hot as well. Got a new one, 3-4 years ago. No problems. since.

Thread Information