New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wifi printing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chasbat

chasbat is on a distinguished road

I'm presently without a printer, namely because I don't use one very often and I find that the heads usually block.

My daughter has recently moved back home and brought her PC & printer with her. I have been trying to find out if there's a way I can connect via wifi to her printer and use that?

I have considered connecting an Airport extreme to the modem and using an Airport Express to the printer which the daughter can also use to connect to the house wifi.

Is this combination or idea compatible to a PC using XP Pro (I use a MacBook Pro)? Or is there an alternative?

I've a very limited technical ability so bare that in mind for any suggestions.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

What printer does she have? If it's a model that has built-in wi-fi, then this will be easy. If not, then it depends on what features it has. If it only prints over USB, then you'll have to set up printer sharing on the PC. If it does let you print over a network by wire (ethernet), then you'd connect it to the router.
QUOTE Thanks
chasbat

Thanks for the response, after posting It dawned on me I hadn't checked, well now I have and no it doesn't. So it's time to find a wifi compatable printer. Am I right in thinking that once I've got a new printer and I install it's software onto both computers then I'm up and running?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbat View Post
Thanks for the response, after posting It dawned on me I hadn't checked, well now I have and no it doesn't. So it's time to find a wifi compatable printer. Am I right in thinking that once I've got a new printer and I install it's software onto both computers then I'm up and running?
Most of the modern printers will have numerous features and be able to easily handle a Wi-Fi setup if you want both computers printing to the machine. Last spring we bought a Canon Pixma MX922 - check the link to Amazon which has a long description of its features - certainly other models & brands will provide similar options. I would suggest making sure that AirPrint is also included in those options which allows Apple's iDevices to print w/o the need for additional software on your computers. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I'm presently without a printer, namely because I don't use one very often and I find that the heads usually block.
This sounds like an ink-jet printer. You should specify if you are only interested in ink-jet printers...or if laser printers are an option as well.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chasbat

Thanks for all the responses,

Pig003 I'd considered a laser printer as I tend to print in black & white, but the daughter prints in colour so whilst a colour laser would be an option I think it rules itself out on size, as we'll probably keep the printer in the daughters bedroom (she has a purpose built desk/workstation).

RadDave, thanks for the recommendation of Canon, I'd had a look at the suggestions in PC Pro magazine and a Canon 5463 (I think that was it's number), was a firm favourite with them at a reasonable price for a change.

When you refer to i-devices I presume you mean i-phone, i-pad, I don't own any other Apple devices and don't imagine I'll be buying any. (No issue with them just don't get on with smartphones - just got rid of mine and I have no need for an i-pad the MacBook does all I want), so would AirPrint be an essential requirement for the MacBook to print?

Regards
Charlie
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As lifeisabeach noted, you could keep your current printer and either share it from one computer or, if this is possible, connect it to your router. For example, AirPort Express and Extremes let you share your printer by plugging it in to the USB port on the back.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses,

Pig003 I'd considered a laser printer as I tend to print in black & white.....

RadDave, thanks for the recommendation of Canon, I'd had a look at the suggestions in PC Pro magazine and a Canon 5463 (I think that was it's number), was a firm favourite with them at a reasonable price for a change.

When you refer to i-devices I presume you mean i-phone, i-pad, I don't own any other Apple devices and don't imagine I'll be buying any. (No issue with them just don't get on with smartphones - just got rid of mine and I have no need for an i-pad the MacBook does all I want), so would AirPrint be an essential requirement for the MacBook to print?
Hi Charlie - plenty of ink jets for consideration, all cheap (they get you on the damn replacement ink cartridges - UGHH!). I also have an older Brother laser attached (i.e. USB) to my wife's iMac for just B&W - it's shared on our Wi-Fi network so I can print to both of our printers from my MBPro from another room. You probably can cabled the old printer into your daughter's PC and then setup printer sharing - can be a pain.

Concerning the iDevices - yes, I was referring to iPads, iPhones, & iPods - not sure if you and/or your daughter owned any - wife & I both have iPads and nice to just hit a button and printout a 'To-Do or Shopping List' to take along to the store(s) - just a suggestion, if applicable. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
It doesn't what? It doesn't have wi-fi? What about wired? If you can tell us what the model is, we can double-check. And what router you currently have so we can determine if it supports plugging the printer into it for network printing.
QUOTE Thanks
chasbat

lifisabeach sorry what I meant was the printer doesn't have a wireless capability, the router at present is manufactured by D-Link and has only 4 ethernet ports on the back panel.

As RadDave has described the printer sharing set "as a pain" and that was something I feared which is why I thought about the extreme connected to the router which would boost the signal and have the express in the bedroom wired to the daughters computer and the printer (the new one, not bought yet), and would allow me to print as well.

Although reading the posts suggests that any modern /powerful router operating over dual channels would be all I need, I say powerful as I live in a Victorian terraced house, (high ceilings, big rooms, brick internal walls).

Thanks again people, sorry I took so long responding but like the man said "but computing is insignificant when compared with looking after grand kids."

Regards
Charlie
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

PeterC4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram

I bought a Canon MX 720 Multifunction colour printer with Printing/Scanning/Copying/Faxing capability and WiFi for $69 this Christmas. Works flawlessly and we can print from iPads and Computers. There were some models for $49. Drive modestly for a week and pick one up.
QUOTE Thanks
chasbat

PeterC4, thanks for the recommendation, after a quick search on the internet it would appear that the MX720 isn't available in the UK. Must admit I hadn't looked at the cheaper end of some of the famous name ranges but your post indicates it's well worth a look.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

One think to keep in mind the cheaper the printer the higher the ink check for yourself and this is with almost all brands so they either get their money upfront or down the road.
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

Quote:
PeterC4, thanks for the recommendation, after a quick search on the internet it would appear that the MX720 isn't available in the UK. Must admit I hadn't looked at the cheaper end of some of the famous name ranges but your post indicates it's well worth a look.
The numbers may be a little different, but the Canon 700 series is pretty good. The 600 series a little cheaper, etc. As to ink cartridges, I believe a lot of the Canon multi-function printers in this generation use the same cartridges but I haven't changed any yet. There are non-name brand cartridges popping up too. All print cartridges are kind of expensive if you ask me. The printers are cheap by comparison.
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

Quote:

Canon PIXMA MX725 - this one looks just like mine off of the Canon UK site.

Here's an inexpensive one from Amazon UK... Can't really go that far wrong at the price below....
Canon PIXMA MX395 All-In-One Colour Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax, 30 Page ADF and Scan to Cloud)

was £59.00 now £38.99
Only 13 left in stock - order soon.
More buying choices
£35.00 new (18 offers)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dealing with older router | Airport extreme reliability question »