New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Roaming Network….I think?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Hi

I currently have an Extreme base station, connected to my ADSL modem/router, which provides the wireless signal for my house. The signal is fine, but I would like to extend the range by adding another Extreme at the back of the house, so that I can take my iPhone etc into the rear garden, as the signal is weak out there at present. Having trawled the web, I understand that a roaming network can be created with two Airport Extremes, but every article I have read talks about connecting the two via an ethernet cable. This would be impractical for me and I was hoping that they would connect to each other wirelessly. Is this possible?

Also, if this is possible, would the ethernet ports on the second base stations work along with the wireless? I ask this because as well as wanting a wireless point at the rear of the house, I have a Tv in the room (where the second extreme would be placed) which has an ethernet connection for BBC iPlayer/ YouTube etc, and it would be great to have that connected.

Many thanks

Champagne for my real friends.......Real pain for my sham friends.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Hello - you might want to provide the approximate distance from your AirPort Extreme router to the area in your house of interest along w/ the number of rooms between the two locations & the construction material of the inside walls (e.g. studs/plaster or stone?). Also how do you know the signal strength there is low, and if so any more objective measurement(s)?

Wi-Fi range of course will also vary w/ the 802.11 protocol(s) being used w/ 802.11n being the longest range - some information HERE - a less expensive Wi-Fi extender, such as This ONE (not a recommendation since I have no experience in using this device and just an example), might be a consideration; however, this would need to be placed in-between your current Wi-Fi router and the other location. Now, there are certainly other considerations and options, but please respond to these questions and pose others, if needed. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

We're probably also going to need to know exactly which Airport Extreme models you're using. Some of Apple's gear (my older Time Capsule for example) will not allow the ethernet ports to work if you extend the network wirelessly as you propose. Extending the network that way works but the ethernet ports may or may not depending upon the specific gear involved.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Hi, and thanks for the replies.

Not sure of the Extreme model I have, but it is not one of the simultaneous dual band ones. I have to select either 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

The Extreme is connected to my modem/router and I have the wireless part of that turned off. The extreme provides the wireless signal. Now the signal from the existing extreme will reach the back of the house, as it is only 30ft away from the back wall of the house, but the signal on my phone etc. is reduced by about half, at the back of the house. If I go out to the garden and stand by the house wall, then I get a signal, but as I walk further down the garden (obviously) I lose the signal. The idea is to put another extreme (which is a simultaneous dual band) in the room which is 30 ft away from the existing extreme, therefore extending the signal further down the garden.

The walls in my house are all stud walls and the house is all on one level. As far as the two extremes go, they will be able to see each other, almost in a straight line down the house.

Hope that I've explained it clear enough lol :-)

Champagne for my real friends.......Real pain for my sham friends.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Hi again - thanks for the additional information, however, you did not provide the specifics about the Wi-Fi protocol being used, i.e. the 802.11 letters (b/g/n); plus, I'm not understanding why you really need both routers and whether your modem/router is one or two separate units?

Your distances are really short & the walls no big obstacle, so why not just get a modem and a new router (I know that it might be an ISP issue) w/ the latter offering up to 802.11n (or even now 'ac') - take a look @ the attached chart - the 'n' protocol should cover your range well - I have the previous model AirPort Extreme w/ dual broadcasting bands & 'n' technology - I get a signal well to my porch (3 rooms and likely 60+ ft away).

We'll await your responses - must be a reason that you are using both routers? Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTC1208_TC_Conn_Table01_large.jpg (43.0 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing ethernet with PS3 | I can't get into my wireless LAN »