New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Streaming movie from iTunes to Apple TV issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

Hi all,
I have a 2013 Mac Mini running Mavericks 10.9.1. All software up to date.
I often rent movies from iTunes, Recently, these movies have stopped playing while we are watching them. The Apple TV takes me back to it's default screen. The screen which enables you to select which computer to stream from. I select that computer again, it shows it is loading my library. I select the movie which stopped, and resume playing from the stopped point.
Why would it be acting like this?
Using the same library, I can stream music without too many problems. (as of late, no problems at all).
I do have my energy saving settings on the Mac Mini set to sleep the computer after an hour, which might be about how long it takes till the movie stops.
Any pointers as to what might be causing this?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Make sure the "put hard drive to sleep when possible' option is UNchecked. Try changing the energy saver setting just to experiment with how that helps or hurts the situation.

If you haven't already, consider upgrading the router to an "N" standard (you may well have already done this -- if you haven't, you definitely should!).
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

Thanks for the reply Chas_m.
I will try altering the settings. I already have a N standard router. (Extreme).
What I don't understand, is why it should start acting like this. I have rented movies this way for some years now, without issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Is there any other traffic going over the network when the problem occurs. It almost sounds like their are multiple things competing for bandwidth.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Is there any other traffic going over the network when the problem occurs. It almost sounds like their are multiple things competing for bandwidth.
Not that I am aware of Slydude.
2 people in the house, both watching the same movie.
I hate to say it, but maybe it is a consequence of Apple updating the operating system? Sometimes I find that to improve some aspects of the operating system, they inadvertently 'break' something else.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Does this problem affect streaming of other video files (something not rented through iTunes)? I've noticed iTunes having some network issues lately as I try to re-download some purchases.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Air port time capsule +NAS | complete reset of airport express »