New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Best option for extending my wifi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Currently have an old model airport extreme (G only). Would like to extend to get stronger signal downstairs. I'm assuming that placing an extender in my living room will in fact make it stronger since it has bigger/better antenna than what's in my iPhone/iPad/MacBook Pro.

That said, I figure I can get an Airport Express ($99) or a replace my old Airport Extreme with a new Airport Extreme ($199) and use my old Airport Extreme as the extender. Is there any advantage to doing the latter to justify the extra $100 other than everything may be faster upstairs when connecting to the main base station?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Have you tried moving the AEBS to a central location if possible?
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Based on the internet source in the house, can't be done, at least not easily. Besides, 90% of my internet access is from my iMac and it's wired in directly to the AEBS (for speed)...and the iMac is in my office so...
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
Based on the internet source in the house, can't be done, at least not easily. Besides, 90% of my internet access is from my iMac and it's wired in directly to the AEBS (for speed)...and the iMac is in my office so...
Well, you've not explain the 'downstairs' difference, i.e. how many feet, rooms, wall construction? You might want to just upgrade you router to the newest AirPort Extreme - updated 802.11 protocols w/ a wider range - might be all that you would need; plus, you could presumably use the old router as an extender? Just a consideration - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Fair enough. Best I can say is that in my living room I have about 2 bars of signal on the wifi indicator. My iPad and iPhone sometimes work fine but most of the time they seem to struggle a bit. I often find myself shutting off the wifi and switching to LTE on my phone...since I'm currently grandfathered into the all-you-can-eat data plan it doesn't really matter...but I can't do that with my iPad as it's wifi only. Maybe the newest AEBS will solve the problem, and if not I can always extend with the old one. That said, I'd rather not spend the extra $100 over the cost of an Airport Express if it doesn't buy me that much.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
Fair enough. Best I can say is that in my living room I have about 2 bars of signal on the wifi indicator. My iPad and iPhone sometimes work fine but most of the time they seem to struggle a bit. I often find myself shutting off the wifi and switching to LTE on my phone...since I'm currently grandfathered into the all-you-can-eat data plan it doesn't really matter...but I can't do that with my iPad as it's wifi only. Maybe the newest AEBS will solve the problem, and if not I can always extend with the old one. That said, I'd rather not spend the extra $100 over the cost of an Airport Express if it doesn't buy me that much.
I have both the AEBS and AE and the AEBS definitely has a better range and all I use the AE is to stream music to the bedroom the AEBS handles my house and backyard.
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

I don't doubt that the AEBS has better range...but that's not really my issue. The original AEBS falls a bit short in terms of signal strength. For half the price I can get the AE as an extender versus getting the latest AEBS and maybe it gets better.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Since you have a direct wire connection to the AEBS I doubt the new model would gain you that much upstairs.
If it were me, I would opt for the AE and extend.

I'm currently running a 2nd gen Time Capsule as my base and extending with a 1st gen Time Capsule and new AE. Works pretty well.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Good point...although I do have a MBP with which I connect wirelessly. But all over the house so an extender would of course help with that as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme or Time Capsule | Need help with Time capsule!!! »