New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Is this how I can boost free WIFI while traveling in my motorhome?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
magentawave

 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2012
Posts: 25
magentawave is on a distinguished road

magentawave is offline
What I want to do is boost the signals of free WiFi while traveling in my motorhome while I'm parked outside of places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. to my Macbook Pro and iPad. (In case its relevant, the shell of my motorhome is made out of fiberglass.)

Please tell me if this is the best way I should do this...

1) Install omnidirectional wifi antenna on roof of motorhome.

2) Run cable from antenna to signal booster inside motorhome.

3) Pick up that signal with wifi router.

Any suggestions for how to do this and products to use will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Steve
QUOTE Thanks
VAMountaineer

 
Member Since: Oct 08, 2013
Posts: 90
VAMountaineer has a spectacular aura about

VAMountaineer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
What I want to do is boost the signals of free WiFi while traveling in my motorhome while I'm parked outside of places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. to my Macbook Pro and iPad. (In case its relevant, the shell of my motorhome is made out of fiberglass.)

Please tell me if this is the best way I should do this...

1) Install omnidirectional wifi antenna on roof of motorhome.

2) Run cable from antenna to signal booster inside motorhome.

3) Pick up that signal with wifi router.

Any suggestions for how to do this and products to use will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Steve
you essentially need a replicator of some sort, as you're going to be unsuccessful in making a meaningful way to boost your lapotp or iPad signal.

i'd go with some sort of parabolic of some sort, either have it something you cna easily move around inside (ie., set on table by window and point at building) or a pancake antena (one mounted on either side wall (outside) your camper..

then i'd get an airport base station (probably an older white spaceship design, which has the antenna jack on it), i'd convert it over to 12v --which i think is the way they're made... You can then hook it (the base station) to the antenna.. then you can use it to pump into your laptop.. OR you can use a repeater off it (another base station on another channel), and run from that..

the challenge with this setup is getting logged into any network is going to be a bit of a challenge, no matter how you do it...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,669
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Do some searching on the net. I just did a Google and came up with numerous hits on various antennas for Mobile Homes and Motor Homes. Also signal boosters and the like.

In other words, shop around.

Here a LINK to get you started.
QUOTE Thanks
magentawave

 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2012
Posts: 25
magentawave is on a distinguished road

magentawave is offline
Thanks but I have done that. I'm hoping to find someone that can translate all the technical stuff into layman terms so I'll know I'm getting the best bang for the buck.

For example, here is what I came up with...

1) Amped Wireless A8EX Power Outdoor 8dbi Omni-Directional WiFi Antenna Kit mounted on top of van over rear tire area: Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireless...Kit+%28A8EX%29

2) Coax cable from Amped Wireless external antenna connects to Hawking HSB2 Hi-Gain Signal Booster: http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HSB2-H.../dp/B0009MYSHU

3) Cable from Hawking signal booster connects to Sabrent NT-H802N IEEE 802.11n USB - WiFi Adpater - NT-H802N: http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=KT5750

4) USB cable from Sabrent external adapter goes to USB port of computer



Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Do some searching on the net. I just did a Google and came up with numerous hits on various antennas for Mobile Homes and Motor Homes. Also signal boosters and the like.

In other words, shop around.

Here a LINK to get you started.
QUOTE Thanks
magentawave

 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2012
Posts: 25
magentawave is on a distinguished road

magentawave is offline
I have read that parabolic antennas are more efficient than omni-directional antennas but I'd rather not have to climb up there and point the thing because its a hassle and also because someone told me that they've had managers at these places come outside and tell them to get lost because they say the antenna pointing towards their store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMountaineer View Post
you essentially need a replicator of some sort, as you're going to be unsuccessful in making a meaningful way to boost your lapotp or iPad signal.

i'd go with some sort of parabolic of some sort, either have it something you cna easily move around inside (ie., set on table by window and point at building) or a pancake antena (one mounted on either side wall (outside) your camper..

then i'd get an airport base station (probably an older white spaceship design, which has the antenna jack on it), i'd convert it over to 12v --which i think is the way they're made... You can then hook it (the base station) to the antenna.. then you can use it to pump into your laptop.. OR you can use a repeater off it (another base station on another channel), and run from that..

the challenge with this setup is getting logged into any network is going to be a bit of a challenge, no matter how you do it...
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

 
Member Since: Dec 11, 2008
Posts: 115
chappers is on a distinguished road

chappers is offline
You could opt for a device like the MetisAir. This works like a relay station. It comes with commercial grade aerial which picks up local wifi. It the send that data via a local wifi network to your iPad or laptop.

I believe it was originally developed for marina use but will fit anywhere. Even comes with sucker adapters to fit onto windows for the aerial. Not cheap but does work well as a range extender.
It will work off 12volt

here's a link to there web site. It's a UK company but there may be worldwide distributors

WiFi Range Extender | MetisAir
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

 
Sawday's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 19, 2006
Location: York, UK
Posts: 1,015
Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Sawday is offline
I think the idea is that you only use those free WiFi hotspots while you're in the establishments and buying. Just saying

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

 
MYmacROX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2009
Posts: 3,599
MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

MYmacROX is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
I think the idea is that you only use those free WiFi hotspots while you're in the establishments and buying. Just saying
That may be the underlying intent. However, there is no U.S. law or regulation at the moment that restricts in any way using an unlocked (password-free) Wi-Fi network. I'm just saying, those are unrestricted networks and therefore open to anyone within range - customer or not.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Time capsule issues | Airport not detecting network and issue connecting »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Best way to remove/lessen the scratches on lid of White Macbook StevenH Apple Notebooks 12 04-15-2010 10:58 AM
the black dot shaun89 OS X - Operating System 4 05-26-2005 12:31 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?