New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Powerbook G4 wireless problem!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

angelggg

I own a powerbook G4, 800mhz, 384mbRAM, Panther, OS X (10.3). I have a DSL internet connection and the other day I installed Tiger and reading an article in MacAddict Magazine, I read about a Widget (called airport something from the apple website) that would find wireless networks and allow me to connect to the internet from anywhere that was available. I tried that for 2 or 3 days and to my surprise it worked. The problem was, my ibook would suddenly froze and I had to reinstall the original Panther OS that came with it (since I'd borrowed Tiger from somebody), and the apple Widget is not compatible anymore. Ever since that happened, my mac will not work with Tiger and I've been forced to work with Panther. My question is: Is there any other application that will enable to detect wireless networks and connect to them without having to install Tiger? Can I still connect to a wireless network that's compatible with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther?
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelggg
I own a powerbook G4, 800mhz, 384mbRAM, Panther, OS X (10.3). I have a DSL internet connection and the other day I installed Tiger and reading an article in MacAddict Magazine, I read about a Widget (called airport something from the apple website) that would find wireless networks and allow me to connect to the internet from anywhere that was available. I tried that for 2 or 3 days and to my surprise it worked. The problem was, my ibook would suddenly froze and I had to reinstall the original Panther OS that came with it (since I'd borrowed Tiger from somebody), and the apple Widget is not compatible anymore. Ever since that happened, my mac will not work with Tiger and I've been forced to work with Panther. My question is: Is there any other application that will enable to detect wireless networks and connect to them without having to install Tiger? Can I still connect to a wireless network that's compatible with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther?
Check out an app called iStumber. It's shareware, and it works really well. You can set the refresh rate to longer or shorter times too, like have it refresh/rescan the are for WAN's, and it displays if they have WEP encryption, 128bit hex, ASCII pass words or whatever they have it setup as. Here's the link: iStumbler
QUOTE Thanks
angelggg

Thank you very much for your tip. I'm going to try it out and see what happens. In the mean time, have a nice day and thatnks again for your time and knowledge!

Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x0r
Check out an app called iStumber. It's shareware, and it works really well. You can set the refresh rate to longer or shorter times too, like have it refresh/rescan the are for WAN's, and it displays if they have WEP encryption, 128bit hex, ASCII pass words or whatever they have it setup as. Here's the link: iStumbler
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« block site | wifi dies when my computer goes idle »