New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport express wireless extending airport Extreme not working out.. help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hann

Hann is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Core Duo 2GHz Black Macbook

So I've an express in another room I set up to extend my extreme wirelessly. My ISP plan is 300mbps.

However in the room with the express, for some reason is not catching the signal from extreme well. i'm getting ranges from 0.4mbps to 8 mbps.

I am going to try a powerline adapter from airport extreme > Powerline input >Powerline output > express.

I'm going to test this out soon and if it does work, my main question would be this.

Q. Because i've 300mbps,if i know the powerline is doing it's job well and it feeds the express with >100mbps into the WAN ethernet, the wifi output of the express or the ethernet LAN out will still be limited to 100mbps theoratically since the WAN only accepts 100mbps. am I right to say that?

Q. Now could I add a gigabit switch, such that powerline output > Gb Switch > express.
So that yes the express will still wirelessly output at limit of 100 mbps, but I could connect my Mac via ethernet to the switch and enjoy >100mbps cos it's via the gigabit switch. This will serve the purposes of occasional usage in the room by the wife, but for me who prefers higher sustained performance, i get improved speeds direct from the ethernet switch..

Thanks for any help! Kinda noob at all this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Configuring a Linksys E4200 V2 router | Setting up New Wireless network all Apple, with MiFi hotspot »