New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme 812.11ac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

V6Pony

V6Pony is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I bought this router last night and have it setup and running. Not ready to do a review yet. Is anyone else using this router? It seems to be fast and stable. Very easy to get the devices up and connected. Very odd that you have no web interface to the router. There are very few settings that you can see or change. It comes with usb 2 connector for a hard drive which seems old to me for a new device of this price.

When you name the router it in effect names the 2.4GHZ network. You have the option to name the 5GHZ network in airport utility. If not it seems to use the same name as the 2.4GHZ. It's not really clear if the 5GHz needs a name of its own? You can select channels for each network but they are set to automatic by default. It is also unclear if you should change them. Airport utility is not very helpful.

There is not much you have control over. Don't think I like that. Perhaps I'm missing something? I'll keep messing with it for a day or so before I quit and take it back. Right now I'm not too impressed.

I did find the following which makes sense to me:
So, to review again....If you leave the AirPort Express in the default setup, devices will automatically connect to the band with the best signal quality based on their capabilities and distance/location in relation to the AirPort Express. Isn't that what you really want?

Do I need this router in my home network? No! This is my hobby and I like to tinker with things. So tinker I will.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

You may not be able to tinker with any Apple router but most don't need to but they do have a reputation for lasting a long time .
If you like tinkering get a Netgear or D-Link.
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
You may not be able to tinker with any Apple router but most don't need to but they do have a reputation for lasting a long time .
If you like tinkering get a Netgear or D-Link.
When you say last a long time, how long would that be?
I think I am now having problems with mine, and it's less than 2 years old. Is that old?
I seems the wireless signal strength has deteriorated. It has been fine until today. Now it just seems erratic.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

My first one is still working at a friends house bought in 2006 so 7 years on that one my second which I bought for simultaneous radios is now 2 years old.
Most of the problems in the past were the power bricks you may want to check that before tossing the unit.
The advantages of the new TC is a router that can back up your Mac's with full Apple support and beaming tech of 802.11ac and yes you can get another brand and do the same just minus Apple support for some thats not an issue but for the average person that may be the deciding factor.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

2007 Airport Extreme here - still chugging away. Not much point in upgrading for me until my ISP gets faster speeds at a sane price point.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Rule of thumb about 3/4 years is a good run. Unplug if a thunderstorm threatens.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You most certainly can get to advanced settings, but they don't make it easy -- because there's very little need to mess with it for 98 percent of buyers, so why complicate matters?

Read post #2 on this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
My first one is still working at a friends house bought in 2006 so 7 years on that one my second which I bought for simultaneous radios is now 2 years old.
Most of the problems in the past were the power bricks you may want to check that before tossing the unit.
The advantages of the new TC is a router that can back up your Mac's with full Apple support and beaming tech of 802.11ac and yes you can get another brand and do the same just minus Apple support for some thats not an issue but for the average person that may be the deciding factor.
Sorry, but what do you mean by "power brick"? If you mean power supply units, I haven't changed or moved mine at all recently.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilf View Post
Sorry, but what do you mean by "power brick"? If you mean power supply units, I haven't changed or moved mine at all recently.
The power supply can and will eventually go bad some in a few years others many years down the road if the voltage drops on some models over a volt then erratic behavior to just not working at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Scorpion2k5

Scorpion2k5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
2007 Airport Extreme here - still chugging away. Not much point in upgrading for me until my ISP gets faster speeds at a sane price point.
I bought my Airport Extreme just before the 802.11n spec was finalized. So mine is acutally a pre-n release. I have installed all the updates for it and never had any issues with them. There is a web interface that can be accessed but you need to enable it when you are first setting up the router - or least mine does. I have had my AirPort Extreme since 2006 and it has never had any problems. Still works as if it were brand new and everything.
Hope this helps you out. Oh - I agree with not needing to upgrade the router until my ISP has better speeds for decent prices $225.95 is a little out of my price for only 108/25 (Down/Up)....
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Coincidentally, I just ordered a refurbished 2011 AirPort Extreme today for $99. It's an upgrade for me (simultaneous 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz broadcast). My Mini and ATV are wired, and my printer, MBAs and iPhone5S run Wireless N (not Wireless AC) so I'm fine with Wireless N and a happy guy!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I connect a Mac to a PC? | Will old apple mail messages still work? »