New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Pause when I go to some web sites. Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I have some web sites that I access where I hit enter there is a pause of about a second or two then the page loads. After the pause the speed is ok. Just the initial start is when I get the pause. I use www.my.yahoo.com as a portal this is the site that I notice the most and annoys me the most. I'm using the newest version of Safari in OSX mountain lion.

I have opened a terminal and type in host www.my.yahoo.com. There is no pause when I do this. I changed the DNS to openDNS 208.67.222.222. Changing to this DNS did not help the pause. The MTU was set at 1500 auto. Messed with it some going down to 1472. None of this has helped.

Anyone have any ideas what I might do to correct this problem. Almost seems it is a problem with Safari.

By the way it is more than one web site that I have this problem on.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Before we pin this on Safari, try using another browser. It's always a good idea to have more than one browser on hand just so you can solve problems like this. Download and install either Firefox or Chrome. Both browsers setup real easy and will import all your bookmarks from Safari. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

I downloaded chrome and give it a try. It does seem to be faster and most of the hesitation is gone. I would say over all it is faster. Think my Safari is causing the problem?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

If you see an improvement by using Chrome, then something may be going on with Safari. The first thing is to do a reset of Safari, clear its history and cache, and then see if the speed has improved.
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

I reset Safari. Seemed to have no effect on the pause when opening the web sites. What's next?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I see that most often related to the ad servers a site is using that don't respond particularly quickly. Those ad servers can and do affect page load speeds.

I check that here by using Firefox - at the bottom of Firefox, it displays the url of the sites that are being accessed - including the ad servers - as they load. You'll be able to see if that site is having issues with a particular ad server.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Is it only this page or another? I just loaded it here and there isn't any huge source of latency (or one that wouldn't be expected given that the page is heavy in content).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not on our site currently - only responding to the ops initial post that he is experiencing 1-2 second delays on "some" web sites.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Haha, my question was for the OP (I could have made that more clear).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Is it only this page or another? I just loaded it here and there isn't any huge source of latency (or one that wouldn't be expected given that the page is heavy in content).
Hi Van

It is the worst on my.yahoo.com. I use this site all day every day. It is not bad it is just annoying. However I notice it on other sites. my.yahoo.com has a lot of content and that may be it as I use it as a portal. I downloaded Chrome and there is no apparent pause. I used a terminal and entered host www.my.yahoo.com and there is no pause. I can live with it I just catch myself watching the blue bar in the address bar start up move about a quarter of an inch then stop for a bit then start again.

I would go ahead and use Chrome but. It is a 32bit browser this creates a java problem on one page that I use. The two finger scrolling is not smooth which may be more annoying than the pause. Also I would like to stay with Safari as it it built for OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
I would go ahead and use Chrome but. It is a 32bit browser this creates a java problem on one page that I use. The two finger scrolling is not smooth which may be more annoying than the pause. Also I would like to stay with Safari as it it built for OS X.
Why don't you try Firefox? It's 64 bit and should not create any problems for you regarding java. If that works out better, just remove Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My internet where I had to move has LAG all over the place yet I clicked your URL and it was almost instant in starting to load. 10.8.5 ML here with latest Safari.

Try Firefox like Chscag suggested. See how that works. Different browsers deal differently with some sites and the way content loads.
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

I did give Firefox a try. Have to say it is much better. Found a video on how to make it faster. I'm quite pleased with it.

Thanks for all the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Auto fill email | Router settings »