New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Mac 17" Power Book Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jackflash

jackflash is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am looking to see what router type I should purchase for usage that compatible with my 2011 17" PB and 2012 13" PB.

I am not sure where the requirements are listed?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

First let me mention that you have a 17" MacBook Pro and a 13" MacBook Pro. Apple stopped making Powerbooks around 2005/2006.

As far as the router. Almost any router is compatible with your computers...so just pick one that you like (maybe based on price, easy setup, etc.).

Welcome to Mac-Forums!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jackflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
First let me mention that you have a 17" MacBook Pro and a 13" MacBook Pro. Apple stopped making Powerbooks around 2005/2006.

As far as the router. Almost any router is compatible with your computers...so just pick one that you like (maybe based on price, easy setup, etc.).

Welcome to Mac-Forums!

- Nick
Sorry Nick - it's a 17" MacBook Pro (2.66 GHz Intel Core i7). I think I purchased this in 2011 and the 13" MacBook Pro in December 2012.

I was looking at the new range of routers - Linksys AC1600 Wi-Fi Dual-Band Wireless Router, however, wasn't sure if this would work or would be of benefit?

Thanks for the welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Yes it would work. Personally left Linksys to move to a TP-LINK W8980 Dual Band. Found it a tad faster and much more reliable.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jackflash

How about those new AC group routers? Is that a waste or can my Macs take advantage of them?
QUOTE Thanks
andreasj64

andreasj64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackflash View Post
How about those new AC group routers? Is that a waste or can my Macs take advantage of them?
You need a new network adapter for your computers to take advantage of the wireless AC spec. I don't think either of your computers has wireless 802.11ac built. You're most likely running 802.11n.
QUOTE Thanks
jackflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasj64 View Post
You need a new network adapter for your computers to take advantage of the wireless AC spec. I don't think either of your computers has wireless 802.11ac built. You're most likely running 802.11n.
Got it. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Further whilst ac routers are backwards compatible with 802.11n you would be paying a higher price and still be onby able to access the n speed. Put the extra into a new hard drive. Pop the original drive in an external caddy and use for backups.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VPN by iPhone work but at MacBook doesn't work! why ? | This is really becoming a sore point with me. Basically, smoke coming out of the e »