New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Xtreme

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

khamson

khamson is on a distinguished road

Recently my desktop was not recognizing Airport Xtreme and therefore not allowing to browse the internet. I ran the default diagnostics and it restored the wireless capability to my desktop ONLY. No peripheral devices can log in. My phone for instance, keeps showing a message: "Obtaining IP address from KHamson Network". After several seconds of trying I then get a message of "disconnected", whereas it immediately then says "scanning" followed by "connecting", and the process repeats itself. What must I do to recover peripheral devices??
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

How old is the AEBS?
QUOTE Thanks
khamson

I'm not sure what that acronym stands for.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

AEBS = Airport Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
khamson

3 years or so
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Did you try re-setting the AEBS ?
You may have to reboot your modem and the AEBS.
QUOTE Thanks
khamson

Yes, I have tried that a few times. This whole thing started when a couple days ago I got up in the morning to find the desktop was not receiving wireless signals. When that happens, the first page you see when trying to use the browser is a page that tells you that you are not connected to the internet. There is a "Network Diagnostics" link that you can click on associated to that page that takes you through the setup process that includes restarting both items. I did that. As stated earlier, the desktop now works fine, it's the peripherals that do not connect. I have heard in the past that you need to leave the router and modem unplugged for at least a minute before restarting them. Is that correct? Would that make a difference? Thank you in advance for your continued support!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamson View Post
Yes, I have tried that a few times. This whole thing started when a couple days ago I got up in the morning to find the desktop was not receiving wireless signals. When that happens, the first page you see when trying to use the browser is a page that tells you that you are not connected to the internet. There is a "Network Diagnostics" link that you can click on associated to that page that takes you through the setup process that includes restarting both items. I did that. As stated earlier, the desktop now works fine, it's the peripherals that do not connect. I have heard in the past that you need to leave the router and modem unplugged for at least a minute before restarting them. Is that correct? Would that make a difference? Thank you in advance for your continued support!
If you did a reset and it still does not fix the issue I would say it is time for a replacement
Because this puts it back to new state and yes at least 30 seconds on unplugged.
( Reset is using a paper clip in the dimple next to the lock slot using instructions in the book for reset. )
QUOTE Thanks
khamson

Ohhhhhh......I thought reset was merely unplugging. I will do what you say and see how that works. Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
khamson

Today I went through the entire process with no luck. Before doing so, I made sure the latest firmware was installed. Peripheral devices can see the network, but still can't log on automatically as they always have, nor am I prompted for a password, etc. I'm out of ideas. Thank you for trying to help me. May have to go to a Genius Bar or similar. There must be something I am not explaining in writing very well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Configure a USB Wireless Adaptor for Mac? | Wireless security »