New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Configuring a Linksys E4200 V2 router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lsebek

lsebek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Mackbook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 8 GB DDR3, 512 MB HD

I am attempting to re-configure this router (having previously configured it using the disc that came with it before moving to a new house & having to unplug everything prior to the move & updating from OS X 10.7 to OS X 10.8). Now, when I insert the disc into the Superdrive of my Macbook Pro and attempt to run the original setup program, nothing happens. I have cleared all the browser caches, searched for any traces of the Linksys software on my HD, purged all related programs & installed the latest Java software. When I download the latest software from the Linksys website and try running it using an ethernet connection to the router, I get a message saying it isn't compatible with OSX 10.8. So I try the "Update" on their website instead. But, every time it gets to about the 80% markt, the installation fails and I get an error message saying that I should contact Linksys Support. However, when I contact them, they tell me that they no longer support this model and if I want to obtain support for it, I have to contact a third-party for billable support. I am currently using my ISP's Sagecom F@ST 2864 modem/accesspoint for my laptop, my iPad & iPhone 5, 3 printers and my wife's iMac (all connected wirelessly. However, I've read that the Linksys E4200 V2 wireless router will outperform my ISP's modem/accesspoint and would like to start using it again (previously, I was using the Linksys in conjunction with a lower-performance modem/access point from the same ISP).

Since I would prefer not to have to pay for support to configure the Linksys, I am hoping that someone on this forum might be willing to provide me with clear, concise, step-by-step instructions on what, where & why the Linksys update is getting stuck and how I might get past it.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What are you re-configuring the router to do now that it wasn't doing before?

If you want to start from scratch, you probably want to do a factory reset by holding down whatever reset button is available on the router. Plug in an Ethernet cable and then hit up (usually) 192.168.1.1 fo the web admin page.

The manual should tell you what the default password is or it might put there and ask you to change it.

Now tell us what you want to do with this router and we can guide you further..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
lsebek

I am simply trying to start using the router again, after disconnecting it and moving to a new house in a different city (mostly because I get a stronger signal from it than I do from my ISP's modem/router). I have tried using an ethernet cable to connect to it and after following your suggestions, I still get the same error message: "502 - Bad Gateway".
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Have you checked with your current ISP to see if the Linksys model router you have is compatible with their system? And since you really don't know if it will outperform the router your ISP has issued to you until you get it working, you may have to revert back to theirs.

Not sure if this will help you, but this is a translation of the error you're receiving:

Cause of 502 Bad Gateway Errors

The 502 Bad Gateway error is an HTTP status code that means that one server received an invalid response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the browser.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Go tot his link, download the User Guide and proceed. Google be your friend:-

E4200 Support | Maximum Performance Dual Band Router

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lsebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Go tot his link, download the User Guide and proceed. Google be your friend:-

E4200 Support | Maximum Performance Dual Band Router

Unfortunately,I had already downloaded and printed the User Guide and it was of no help whatsoever in helping me resolve my problems
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have a feeling you are plugging the Linksys into a Router supplied by your ISP and your iSSUE is Double NAT. What modem/router came with your ISP at the new house? If you tell me I can find out how to set it up for bridged mode then your Linksys should be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
lsebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have a feeling you are plugging the Linksys into a Router supplied by your ISP and your iSSUE is Double NAT. What modem/router came with your ISP at the new house? If you tell me I can find out how to set it up for bridged mode then your Linksys should be fine.
It is a Sagecom F@ST 2864.
Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I found this but I have never seen a Modem/Router that was such a pain to put into Bridged mode. You have to telnet into it and type commands! Here is the url. If you try it be sure and read it all CAREFULLY. Normally with most it's just a setting in the config!

[DSL] Sagemcom F@ST 2864 bridge mode guide - TekSavvy | DSLReports Forums
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Utility? | Airport express wireless extending airport Extreme not working out.. help? »