New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Sharing Internet Connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JimmyHat

Hello,

I have a PowerBook G4 connected to my Airport Express. I also have a friend's Window 98 computer that I'm reformatting for him.

I would like to use my PowerBook to share my internet connection. That is, I want to connect the Windows 98 computer to my PowerBook with an ethernet cable, and use internet sharing to share the connection (rather than disconnect my existing network just to connect this machine temporarily).

I have tried using internet connection sharing, but I don't think it's configured properly. I can not find anywhere to tell the computer how to share the network with the client computers (DHCP, etc), and it is not working properly.

Am I dreaming, or is this possible?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

How do you get your internet now, via the airport express? if so turn on internet connection sharing and choose the ethernet port to share it out on. there is no dhcp config to adjust. you powerbook will act as a router and there is nothing else to configure.

If you get you internet via ethernat then you're sunk. unless the pc has wifi.
QUOTE Thanks
JimmyHat

I have my DSL modem connected to an Airport Express. I have already tried to use the internet connection sharing, but I guess I'm looking more for what settings to use on the PC.

I've tried setting it to use DHCP, tried entering the IP addresses of both the router and the PowerBook as the Gateway on the PC (together and individually).

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice

It would be DHCP on the PC side. Depending on the address scope of the Airport you may have problems. By default Airport uses 10.0.2.x. If this is the same scope the internet sharing over ethernet is, it might not route. You may need to change the Airports ip scope to something else like 192.168.1.x
QUOTE Thanks
JimmyHat

Well, I tried your suggestions, but haven't had any luck so far.

The PC is getting an IP address, but unfortunately it's using the PowerBook as a DHCP server, and not the Airport Express. Can I change this somehow? I've already tried entering the AE's IP in the default gateway setting, but that doesn't work...

Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
osvoldk

osvoldk is on a distinguished road

Why would you want that computer to see the Airport Express as the server anyway. Wouldn't it be fine to let it be connected to the Powerbook?

I will not run five kilometers with water.
Yo no correré cinco kilómetros con el agua.
Ich will nicht mit das Wasser fünf kilometer laufen.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

That IS how it works. The PB acts as another router. It's the same as windows ICS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting to Windows 2000 | wifi finder »