New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

I Changed My IP Address Now I Can't Connect to the Internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KaysoKray

KaysoKray is on a distinguished road

I changed my IP address manually then tried to connect to the internet. It didn't work, so I changed it back and I can't connect at all. I'm not sure what to do to fix i. Can anyone help?
I'm using a Mac Air on Lion, and I'm trying to connect to my wfi network.

Now I have a new problem. The Wifi bar shows that I have access, but nothing will load. I have no idea what going on.

Edit: Fixed that too. I'm on a roll
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm willing to bet that you have a network setup with DHCP. If it is, you don't set your IP manually - it's given to you by your router. Do you have a network setup with DHCP or do you use static IPs?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
KaysoKray

I'm pretty sure it's DHCP, but how do you check?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Every router has a configuration/monitoring procedure that is often web browser driven. Generally you have to enter the router's IP number to log into the administrator section. Which make and model router do you have?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
KaysoKray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Every router has a configuration/monitoring procedure that is often web browser driven. Generally you have to enter the router's IP number to log into the administrator section. Which make and model router do you have?
Oh, it's fixed now. I figured out what I was doing wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Great. What was wrong? The fix might be helpful to others in the future.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
KaysoKray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Great. What was wrong? The fix might be helpful to others in the future.
I didn't realize that Mac's had their own router addresses,and kept using the network address.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaysoKray View Post
I didn't realize that Mac's had their own router addresses,and kept using the network address.
Glad you sorted out your problem, but that explanation makes no sense to me..

What do you mean when you say "router addresses" and "network address"?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
KaysoKray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Glad you sorted out your problem, but that explanation makes no sense to me..

What do you mean when you say "router addresses" and "network address"?
I believe those refer to the router's IP address. I was just going off of the sticker on the router.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

OK..gotcha..yes the router will have an IP address, comes as XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and there's also a MAC address that look like XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX..the MAC addresses are also known as Physical addresses and are not unique to each device, i.e., every device on the Internet has a unique value..(let that sink in a bit.. )

The IP addresses would be used for communication..so your router might have ones like 192.168.1.1 or something..and every device on the network would have 192.168.1.X where X is 2-254..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mapping (non-Airport) network drive problem | Networking Mac & PC »