MPB loses internet
    My MPB (10.6.8) keeps losing touch with the internet, both via WIFI and via Ethernet. The router is OK because the i-Pad remains connected. I can re-establish a connection by restarting the MPB but not by logging-out. All the software is up to date.

Comments greatly appreciated.

M

What router do you have? Do you have your router or your MBP set to reserve a specific IP address? How long are you able to maintain your connection before you are forced to restart to get it back?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

MPB loses internet
    Thanks for the reply.
    The router came from the ISP with the broadband package and is described as the (Vodaphone) DSL Easy Box 803A.
    I did the standard set-up as recommended by the ISP and don't know whether it's set to reserve a specific ISP address.
    The connection gets lost about three times a day.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeo1938 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    The router came from the ISP with the broadband package and is described as the (Vodaphone) DSL Easy Box 803A.
    I did the standard set-up as recommended by the ISP and don't know whether it's set to reserve a specific ISP address.
    The connection gets lost about three times a day.
    M
    Alrighty. Well if they didn't set it up to reserve an address, and you haven't either, and you haven't done so on your Mac, then that wouldn't be the problem. If any of you had, and your Mac was "competing" with another device for the same IP address, then you'd be seeing connectivity issues almost immediately on starting up.

This actually sounds almost exactly like a problem I had with my cable modem last year. I kept losing my connection on my iMac and my wife's laptop, but resolving it required a restart of the cable modem. I don't remember if my iPhone would lose connection also (edit... now that I think about it, it did). Next time this happens, try restarting the router. If that does the trick, then I would contact your ISP and see about swapping the router out.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information