New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Looking for router advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Retina display iPad

I have an original 500 MB time capsule that finally died. It looks like the power supply caps have failed and I just don't have the desire to resurrect right now. So I replaced it temporarily with an aging Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato firmware. Now it has started acting up requiring reboots 3 to 4 times a day so I plan on replacing it with a new wireless router.

It needs to be fairly robust to handle multiple wired and wireless devices. Currently, I have 4 wired connections all the time, 3 wireless connections with the potential for 8 more wired and 6 more wireless connections. All wired connections are on a GB backbone in my house. All wireless devices are Mac centric devices such as iPads, IPod, IPhones. The desktops / servers are iMac, Mini, and Linux boxes.

I am considering the new AirPort Extreme as my first choice. Any other suggestions? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

The new Airport Extreme is a decent router. I use the previous generation at work. Works fantastic supporting 15 wired connections (its connected to a switch) and several wireless devices too.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Retina display iPad

Thanks for the info Stretch. Just had to reboot the router again. Headed to the Apple store tomorrow.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There is something wrong with that WRT54GL. They normally are dead stable devices. I have never used Tomato but just stock mine has gone years without a reboot and I have another with DDWRT that is the same way.

The Apple router should do you just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Nyobie

Nyobie is on a distinguished road

I hope you were able to pick up a Time Capsule during your Apple Store visit. I've installed a few wireless routers over the years at both my home and other people's homes. By far, the TC is the easiest to set up. When I was finished, I was so surprised by the little amount of time that it took, I wondered if I missed a major step somewhere. Moments later, I realized it was just that easy.

15-inch MacBook Pro Retina
768GB SDD, 16GB RAM, 2.8GHz Intel i7 Quad Core
AirPort Time Capsule 3TB
iPad Retina, 64GB & iPhone 5, 64GB
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

Sorry for the delay, I did make it to the Apple store and purchased several items. It was a rather expensive trip that day. Bought the Wireless Extreme, a 64GB iPad Retina and a 32 GB iPad Mini. The Wireless extreme setup was easy, even configuring the port forwarding for a couple of servers on my network. I was previously using a 1st generation Time Capsule prior to the Linksys WRT54G. It took longer to reassign the IP addresses for the servers than the setup did. (I assign static IP addresses for all of my desktops and servers).

This was my first iPad and the experience has been great. It seems to be a solid product and even my rather un-computer literate wife loves her Mini.

Awaiting the new iPhone in September...

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Glad the Apple router did it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboggess View Post
Sorry for the delay, I did make it to the Apple store and purchased several items. It was a rather expensive trip that day. Bought the Wireless Extreme, a 64GB iPad Retina and a 32 GB iPad Mini. The Wireless extreme setup was easy, even configuring the port forwarding for a couple of servers on my network. I was previously using a 1st generation Time Capsule prior to the Linksys WRT54G. It took longer to reassign the IP addresses for the servers than the setup did. (I assign static IP addresses for all of my desktops and servers).

This was my first iPad and the experience has been great. It seems to be a solid product and even my rather un-computer literate wife loves her Mini.

Awaiting the new iPhone in September...

Bill
I was going to ask what you bought me while you were on that spending spree but I think your wallet has had enough of a workout.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

LOL.... The budget definitely took a hit that day. Maybe next time Slydude

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

On the Linksys don't throw it away sometimes or most of the time its a bad wall wart you can pick them up at most electronic supply houses for under 10 bucks all it has to be off is 1 volt for things to act up.
Just saying box it up for a spare.
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

So, osxx piqued my curiosity on the Linksys router. I decided to take it apart and take a peek at a few things. I opened the case and noted that there were a couple of cold solder joints at the power supply connector. Fixed those and checked the rest of the circuit board. After fixing the connections, I checked the voltage for the wall wart power supply and noted that instead of 12 V it was running around 13.5V. Threw my oscilloscope on the power supply and found 3 volts of ripple on a 12 V power supply. Definitely not good.

When it comes to components, I never throw anything out. I happened to have a 12v 1amp power supply. Plugged it in and it has been running as an access point for 24 hours without having to reboot. Once it runs for a few days, I'll put it back on the shelf as a spare.

Just thought y'all would like to know the final fix.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Threw my oscilloscope on the power supply and found 3 volts of ripple on a 12 V power supply. Definitely not good.
I wonder how many folks even know how to do that? When I was working for the government as a computer repair tech we used our scopes to even measure voltage. Good stuff!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I had one of the original Airport Expresses that had the power supply cook itself. If I had a equivalent power supply, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it working again, the Express board was fine, just one of the caps on the power supply burnt up.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need more stability | Is VPN being used »