New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Is this a totally outrageous request??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrheilig

jrheilig is an unknown at this point

I have a DSL connection. Unlimited data throughput up and down. Fine. I want to get rid of the copper wired land line phone that I have to have to get the DSL. In my area that's the only choice for wired internet access (think: Green Acres).

I'd like to replace my DSL with a Verizon Jetpack MiFi, but the amount of data Verizon offers seems ridiculously low. The problem is, I have no earthly clue how much data I'm using. My ISP (they claim) doesn't keep track of data use on DSL accounts. And I've tried literally about ten different data calculators, and using the exact same input data, have come up with anything from 8.5 gb/month to 56 gb/month. That's a HUGE difference. I don't want to switch to Verizon and end up paying $1000 a month in data overage charges.

Is there a way to measure data throughput on the Airport Extreme base station?? Every bit and byte of data I use goes through it, and it looks like it would be easy enough to figure the total, but I can't find any way to do it.

Thoughts??

Tks

Butch
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I don't know of a way to measure data throughput using the ABS. Generally, data throughput is measured from your ISP. What do your net browsing habits consist of? The reason I ask is that unless you're into watching on line videos, do lots of downloading, and play on line games, 5 GB a month will go a long way. Of course it's nice to know when you're approaching the limit of what you've paid for.
QUOTE Thanks
jrheilig

It absolutely ***astounds*** me that there is, in 2013, not a way to measure data throughput on the AirPort. That just astounds me.

So I'm still at square one.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

What astounds me, actually, is that ISP's (especially ones with caps) claim that they have no way of telling you how much data you are using actively until some magical threshold is passed and you get billed extra..

Anyway..

If all you want to do is determine the amount of data you transmit and receive from a particular network interface regardless of where that is going. You can use a program like Surplus Meter to get that value. However, this value gets skewed a lot if you have any local network access like accessing a NAS or something..

If that isn't the case and all of your communication is to the Internet, then this program will give you a number you can use to determine how you should proceed..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
jrheilig

Thanks for that! Downloaded and installed. I *knew* there had to be something. Why does that all seem so cryptic? I'd think Apple would have a utility built into the OS for that kind of thing. Doesn't seem mind-bendingly complicated.

Appreciate the assist.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Ashwin, if any ISP says that they are lying through their teeth. AT&T tried to say that and people rallied together on FB and fought them and all of a sudden they gave us a URL to a Meter on their page that showed just how much data we has used for the month.
QUOTE Thanks
jrheilig

My ISP is a local telelphone cooperative (like I said, think Green Acres). I'm sure everything they do is contracted out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem in wireless connection | Dont click on this Ad on speedtest.net !!!!! »