New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

derekeverett

derekeverett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s

Hi,

I am involved with a group of hobbyists that are forming our own online group. We are searching a solution to allow us all to contact one another. I have an idea of something that I think would be ideal, but I'm unsure of how to implement it. I'll describe it and hopefully someone out there could point me in the right direction.

First, I would set up a central email address. An example would be main_email@whatevermail.com.

Anybody who sent an email to that address, would have that email automatically forwarded to every member of the group. The same would occur if a user replied to one of the emails. This could facilitate many conversations between a small group of people.

I am hoping a solution may exist that is fairly simple and would allow us to get started with a simple hotmail or gmail account.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Why not set up Main_Emal@whatevermail.com so that everyone can log into said email. Then if someone replys to said email, it is sent to everyone else in that group, use the bc cc within the email, and have everynone set up as a group to recieve it.
Read more about bc and Cc here Sending an Email to Multiple Recipients - Cc: and Bcc: - About Email

HTH

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Mice idea. My thought was to have one Mac setup to periodically check the account. A mail rule would look for any e-mail sent to the account and use a rule to send the message to the group. The group is created within the Contact program and the name of that group

Using the OP's example rule that looks something like this should work:

If To is equal to Mail_Email@whatevermail.com
Perform the following actions:
Forward message to Name of group from Contacts

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Why not set up Main_Emal@whatevermail.com so that everyone can log into said email. Then if someone replys to said email, it is sent to everyone else in that group, use the bc cc within the email, and have everynone set up as a group to recieve it.
Read more about bc and Cc here Sending an Email to Multiple Recipients - Cc: and Bcc: - About Email

HTH
Thanks, and it's a good idea. But I can see issues straight away.

First, the membership of this group, as with most hobbyist groups, isn't entirely stable. I mean it's great for the most part, but some people come and go, and others cause problems. It would take just one bad egg to destroy mail history, send unwanted emails out, or even change the password locking the rest of us out.
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Mice idea. My thought was to have one Mac setup to periodically check the account. A mail rule would look for any e-mail sent to the account and use a rule to send the message to the group. The group is created within the Contact program and the name of that group

Using the OP's example rule that looks something like this should work:

If To is equal to Mail_Email@whatevermail.com
Perform the following actions:
Forward message to Name of group from Contacts
This seems like it's exactly what I might be looking for. I'm not familiar really with mail rules. I will have to look into that!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekeverett View Post
This seems like it's exactly what I might be looking for. I'm not familiar really with mail rules. I will have to look into that!
I haven't tried that specific rule in the real world but have sent mails to groups manually in a similar fashion. One thing that might or might not be an issue for you. At one time some service providers set limits on how many people you could send messages to at one time.

If it a large group mail list software would probably be a better option.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extend wireless with time capsule? | How to stop getting this warning about going to an unsecure page? »