New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can't open files on mapped Win 7 volume from Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

J1helena

J1helena is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac Pro running OS X 10.8.4. Itís networked to a Win 7 machine. I can map the Mac to my Windows box and access files on the Mac from Windows. The machines connect through an unmanaged switch and employ 10-dot IPs. No router. They are in the same workgroup with the same user and password on each. Firewalls are disabled. I am an Admin on both units. So, why canít I open, copy, delete, etc., any file that I try to access on the Win 7 machine from the Mac? For example, if I try to view a plain text file, Mac says that it cannot be opened. If I try to copy the file to the Mac desktop, Mac says that I donít have permission (I do, at least in Windows). Everything is fine on my Windows machines network.

To map the PC from the Mac, I use Go\Connect to Server and enter smb://10.10.10.11/M, which is a shared volume. I log in as ccu, which has full control over all objects on M. From the Mac, I can open the PCís folders and view their contents, but thatís as far as I can go. On the Mac, file sharing is enabled.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Go to the folder on Windows 7 that you want to share. Right-click - Properties - Sharing tab - Advanced sharing. Tick to share folder - Permissions - Add

Add a user called 'Everyone' (no quotes) give it read and or Change permissions.

In the Network and sharing centre:
Turn On network discovery
Turn on file and printer sharing
Turn off password protected sharing (just temporarily til you get up and running)

Save changes. Reboot. Try again

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
J1helena

Thanks. I'm afraid that none of those measures made any difference.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

If you changed all of that I'd say its a routing problem. I'd consider buying a cheap router

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
J1helena

Thanks very much. That didn't help, unless I did something wrong. I attached a router to the switch, and set my Mac settings as in the screenshot. I can ping the router from Win7 and Mac, and I still can connect to Win 7 (10.10.0.11) from the Mac. I can copy files to Win 7, but I still can't open files on Win7 from the Mac. I also set the router's IP as the default gateway on Win7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 9.08.32 AM.jpg (70.7 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Reset the router to factory settings (there's normally a little button on the back that you press with a paper clip)

Change all the settings on your Macs and PCs to use DCHP or automatic etc. do not manually configure the IP, subnet, gateway or anything like that.

Connect them all to the router ideally, if not just connect them to the switch then connect the switch to the router with a single cable.

The router, using dhcp, will allocate ip addresses to everything.

QUOTE Thanks
J1helena

Thanks again, but still no joy. I attached a screenshot. I left the physical connections as they were, PC+Mac-to-switch, router-to-switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 1.52.58 PM.jpg (59.7 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

That's a windows permission issue. Something on you windows machine hasn't got it's permission set correctly.

Can you navigate to that m folder and do a get info so we can see the permissions your mac is seeing

QUOTE Thanks
J1helena

Thaks. Under the Sharing & Permissions, it says "you have custom access." I find that I usually can delete files on Win7 from Mac. Sometimes, when I copy a file from Mac to Win7, the copied file is 0 bytes, and Mac reports that som edata in tje file can't be written.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I'd just back check your settings. These guides will help.
Access PC Windows 7 Files From Mac OS X Lion | Mac OS X
File Sharing Mac OS X Lion and PC Windows 7 | Mac OS X

QUOTE Thanks
J1helena

Thanks for all of your suggestions and help! My systems are configured as the guides indicate.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

So are you using password protected sharing on the Windows machine now or not?

Is the behaviour the same under both methods?

If you browse to the Windows public shared folder using the machine listed under 'Sahred' in finder rather that 'go to' and entering an IP. Can you read/write in that folder?

QUOTE Thanks
J1helena

Thanks again. I am using password protected sharing now, but have tried disabling it with no change in results. I turned on public sharing in Win7 and shared the Pictures folder with Everyone. When I navigated to that folder after mapping the drive, I still could not open files.

I'm not sure what you mean by browsing in Finder instead of Go to. When I open Finder. I see what's in screenshot 1. After I map the volume, I see what's in screenshot 2. When I try to open the / folder, I receive the message in the screenshot. AFAIK, the only way to get to the Win7 share is through Go to.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 1.png (150.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2.png (195.9 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

If your sharing was setup correctly you'd see all your machines and network devices automatically under Shared in Finder

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Is the Mac firewall off?

uncheck and re-check windows file sharing (SMB) in the sharing pane of system preferences a couple of times.
In the Network preference pane - Advanced - WINS and change the netbios name - Apply, then change it back - Apply.
reboot

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mapping Windows Shares on 10.8.4 Not Working | Can iTunes/iPhoto Media folder be located on my Time Capsule? »