New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Port 8080 stopped working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ycombinator

ycombinator is on a distinguished road

I have been experiencing a strange situation on my Mac OS X 10.8.3 laptop the last week or so.

If run a port scan using the Network Utility tool, it shows that port 8080 is open. Indeed, if I run telnet localhost 8080 from the command line, the connection is successful. If I run sudo lsof -i :8080, however, nothing comes up.

Further, I am able to create a server and bind it to port 8080 (using nc -l localhost 8080). When I run telnet localhost 8080, the connection is successful (as before) but any text I enter does not show up in the nc output.

How is it possible that a port is open but nothing is actually listening on it?

Clue: This was working as expected until a few days ago, when I was playing with some VPN clients.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

try...

sudo lsof -i TCP:8080

or..

sudo lsof -n |grep LISTEN

the sudo is important, if your account doesn't own the process.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old email address haunting me! | Self-assigned IP address/no IP address, internet connection issue »