Specs:
    Dual 1.8 G5 -- 3 Gigs RAM -- 23" Cinema Display -- OneTouch II 300GB External HD -- Wacom Intuos3
    Public Folders and Permissions
    i have my sahring on and i'm on a windows network with my friend dave who i have an account setup for on my mac. now when he connects to my mac, he can only access the drop box in HIS user name. why can't he grab files that i put in MY public folder? i can put files in his drop box so he can grab them, but if there is a file that already exists that i want to replace with an updated version, it tells me that i can't replace it because i don't have permissions. we are both set as admin users.

i need to make it possible for him to see MY public folder which i can control. but when he connects to my computer it defaults to HIS public folder. what am i doing wrong?

thanks
    kurt

Specs:
    Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
    Use the shared folder in /Users as a drop box for both of you. Or instead of AFP use FTP to connect to each other.

Make sure to start you ftp service in sharing pref.

Specs:
    Dual 1.8 G5 -- 3 Gigs RAM -- 23" Cinema Display -- OneTouch II 300GB External HD -- Wacom Intuos3
    HMMMMM... i tried that and it didn't work for me. there must be something with the way he is connecting to my network. when he logs in on his PC, it only shows the folders available in his HOME folder. the /users folder is on the hard drive. is there a way that he can access all files on my computer? or at least the hard drive? this way he can get to the /users/public folder. i just don't get it.

again, thanks for your help

Specs:
    thanks again for the help but i figured it out. i just changed the permissions on the folder. he is still the owner but i changed the group to admin and made it so i can read and write. works just as i wanted.

Thread Information