New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can't access 192.168.1.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

huffstar

huffstar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram

Okay so this is really starting to drive me nuts....how come I can't access this router configuration address in ANY of my browsers?? (IE or Safari). Man this linksys thing is making my head hurt
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I don't know much about LinkSys routers, but from I have picked up here and elsewhere, they occasionally do this. I understand that you may have to reset the Router, I'm not sure how, but resetting it will return it to it's factory default setting.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Linksys router is it? I have never had a Linksys change it's IP address on me in the years I have used them. Try unplugging it from the AC for a few then back in. If it still does not work, with it powered on, hold in the reset button in the back till the lights blink and it resets. It takes 10 seconds or more. I think somehow the Routers default IP was changed.

What model is it?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Does it prompt you for the username and password? If you are on wireless you need to be connected to access the router

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

You can still access the router if you are on a wireless connection I do it all the time, but it would def. help to be connected. Like everybody else, you'll probably just have to reset the router.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Have you an active firewall? Or perhaps you have the firewall active in OSX? It could be this that is causing the problem - anyhow you are better off resetting the router and trying again, as has been mentioned.

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

try using firefox
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm
try using firefox
I don't think that that's the problem.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

If your trying to access it wirelessly then you must have Wireless Web Access and Remote Management both enabled. Go to the routers setup and go to administration. Enable both Wireless Web Access and Remote Management. You should be able to access it wirelessly now.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

What's your IP? can you ping 192.168.1.1? Is it wireless? Is there a link light on the router.

If your IP is anything other than 192.168.1.XXX you won't connect to 192.168.1.1 if it's 192.168.0.xxx try 192.168.0.1, you get the idea.

If you can't ping 192.168.1.1 you won't connect to the web interface. Your gateway should be the router IP in this case. If the ip is 169.254.xxx.xxx you aren't getting an ip from the router.

If it's wireless it's most likely 192.168.1.246 according to linksys defaults.

No link light,...no connection. Try another port/cable/NIC or reseat every thing.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee12
I don't think that that's the problem.
i actually had to DL and use firefox to access my linksys router page. i have a wrt54g. i thought it was wierd, but it worked.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mail's outgoing server won't work :( | Synergy Help »