New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

WIFI Router/internet setup issues......

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JPK

I'm a PC guy so please don't look down on me. I have a friend that has a G4 with OS 9.2 installed. The Mac is a few years old and she's been having some internet access issues I'm trying to solve for her. She's virtually computer illiterate so I'm trying to help her get back online. First, she has access via DSL. I have re-established her connection to the net. Her browser is MS IE 5 for Macs and after establishing the DSL connection, when I try to open her browser I get an error message. Now I know that there must be a one click way to both open her browser and connect at the same time but I'm at a loss because of my infamiliarity with the Mac OS. I do not have her machine near so I don't have the error message to post here. In addition she has a wireless router that she needs to have installed after I get her browser operating but I'll wait until after to do that. Just want to get her back online. I'm sure it's just a software config issue so any help here would be appreciated. In addition, she has a OS X disk. I was thinking I might just upgrade the OS for her but worried that I might corrupt data on her HD so I did not do that. So...a couple of questions. First, is there a way to do a single click web access on her machine with MS IE 5? Second, is MS IE 5 the best or serviceable browser for her? Third, would the install of OS X be benificial to her and make the set up of the browser easier and less combersome to activate? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
QUOTE Thanks
bwilliamson0019

bwilliamson0019 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12 inch ibook 1.2 ghz

i would upgrade to osx, it should be easy to use if she's computer illiterate.
then if the dsl modem is connected via ethernet check your ip settings (for built in ethernet) dhcp should be fine for now. osx should have safari dont use IE.
QUOTE Thanks
JPK

Is there anything I should look out for in the OSX install over 9.2.2? Is it pretty much an automatic overlay? What about IE 5? Do I need to uninstall that before the OSX install? Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliamson0019
i would upgrade to osx, it should be easy to use if she's computer illiterate.
then if the dsl modem is connected via ethernet check your ip settings (for built in ethernet) dhcp should be fine for now. osx should have safari dont use IE.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Someone Elses Signal | problem copying files to network harddrive »