New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

PCs on home network suddenly can't connect to iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KariSK

KariSK is on a distinguished road

My iMac is reading our Windows XP and Windows Vista PCs on our home wireless network fine, and up until yesterday, the two Windows PCs were reading my iMac perfectly.

Today the two Windows PCs won't accept the usual username/password combination to read the iMac.

The Connect to.. window with 'Incorrect password or unknown username for \\MYNAMES-IMAC\myusername\[rest of path]' opens, but the username box shows MYNAME\myusername. I've tried entering the password with this username and I've tried changing the username to MYNAMES-IMAC\myusername and just the username on its own but this doesn't work either.

I haven't changed any firewall settings or passwords since yesterday!!! How do I get them to reconnect?

I'm sure the Windows XP PC doesn't ask me to enter the password every time I reconnect to it (ie every day). The Vista one does. But when they did, they always accepted the password. Reconnect on startup is enabled. I can't even remap the iMac drive as the password isn't accepted! Grrrrr.....

Any ideas gratefully received.
QUOTE Thanks
Image44

Image44 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem but mine appears to have started since upgrading to mountain lion. The iMac appears on the pc but won't accept the logon. I also have the problem with File Browser on the iPad. That too won't logon to the iMac..

Any help on this would be much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wired connection from iMac to Ubuntu machine... | External HD connected via USB on router »