New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Configure PowerMac G4 As A Server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imthebestcool

imthebestcool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8Go RAM, 500Go HDD

Hi Everyone.
I'm new to this forum and I need your Help! I want to configure my PowerMac G4 QuickSilver 2002 Running Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8), 1.5Go RAM with 40 GO Boot Drive and 80Go Internal Storage (2X40GO RAID 0). I already made up a server but only for my local network, i'm currently sharing my 80Go Hard Drive to my actual Mac Mini 2011(Lion 10.7.3). The thing is that I want my 80Go Hard Drive in my PowerMac G4 to be shared via internet so my friend could connect to it. When I connect myself to the Hard Drive I can mount it on my desktop, is he gone be able to do that? Cause it would be the simple way for me and him to share file via this Hard Drive. We are currently using DropBox but we want to change to use this hard drive. I will post pictures so you will be able to understand what i'm talking about. I can download software, open ports on my network, do whatever I need to make my PowerMac G4 as a Server. I know he will need to use my External IP Address and it's find, I just need help to configure all this good stuff.

Thanks You A Lot Guys!

P.S1 : Sorry for my bad English I'm French.
P.S2 : On the picture I circled in Red ''Se connecter au serveur...'' This means in english ' : Connect to Server...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Server1.jpg (81.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Server2.jpg (44.3 KB, 21 views)
QUOTE Thanks
imthebestcool

Hi Everyone.
I'm new to this forum and I need your Help! I want to configure my PowerMac G4 QuickSilver 2002 Running Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8), 1.5Go RAM with 40 GO Boot Drive and 80Go Internal Storage (2X40GO RAID 0). I already made up a server but only for my local network, i'm currently sharing my 80Go Hard Drive to my actual Mac Mini 2011(Lion 10.7.3). The thing is that I want my 80Go Hard Drive in my PowerMac G4 to be shared via internet so my friend could connect to it. When I connect myself to the Hard Drive I can mount it on my desktop, is he gone be able to do that? Cause it would be the simple way for me and him to share file via this Hard Drive. We are currently using DropBox but we want to change to use this hard drive. I will post pictures so you will be able to understand what i'm talking about. I can download software, open ports on my network, do whatever I need to make my PowerMac G4 as a Server. I know he will need to use my External IP Address and it's find, I just need help to configure all this good stuff.

Thanks You A Lot Guys!

P.S1 : Sorry for my bad English I'm French.
P.S2 : On the picture I circled in Red ''Se connecter au serveur...'' This means in english ' : Connect to Server...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Server1.jpg (81.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Server2.jpg (44.3 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

*Merged Duplicate threads*
QUOTE Thanks
imthebestcool

I wanted to change my post to Networking, Can you do this please ?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You need to do a few things

Give the G4 server a static IP address in your home, so in network preferences, use DHCP with manual address and give it a hight last number, so 192.168.0.200 - where the first 3 sets of numbers are what all your computers use internally and the last number is 200

Next, open up file sharing port on your router so that outside people can get to the G4 from the internet
AFP (apple file sharing) uses port 548
SMB (windows file sharing) uses port 139
These should forward to XXX.XXX.X.200 - the address of your G4

You will have to have access to the router and open up these two ports, called port forwarding, the process will depend on your router so you may want to google that or visit the routers help pages

Then make sure Apple file sharing is turned on, and smb sharing is also enables if your friend uses windows

Also in the G4s sharing preferences give your friend a sharing account so that they have permission to login

once done you can send them a link to test out, but this will be based on your public IP address, to find that see below
http://www.whatismyip.com/

so the file sharing link for Macs would be

afp://277.135.16.199

assuming 277.135.16.199 is your public IP address

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
imthebestcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
You need to do a few things

Give the G4 server a static IP address in your home, so in network preferences, use DHCP with manual address and give it a hight last number, so 192.168.0.200 - where the first 3 sets of numbers are what all your computers use internally and the last number is 200

Next, open up file sharing port on your router so that outside people can get to the G4 from the internet
AFP (apple file sharing) uses port 548
SMB (windows file sharing) uses port 139
These should forward to XXX.XXX.X.200 - the address of your G4

You will have to have access to the router and open up these two ports, called port forwarding, the process will depend on your router so you may want to google that or visit the routers help pages

Then make sure Apple file sharing is turned on, and smb sharing is also enables if your friend uses windows

Also in the G4s sharing preferences give your friend a sharing account so that they have permission to login

once done you can send them a link to test out, but this will be based on your public IP address, to find that see below
What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address

so the file sharing link for Macs would be

afp://277.135.16.199

assuming 277.135.16.199 is your public IP address
IT WORK !! OMG Thank You So Much !!!!
I want to know how can I connect to this server also via Windows. It is in Computer or Control Panel ? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

if you have turned on smb file sharing then the link for windows computers would be

smb://277.135.16.199

but it may be \\277.135.16.199

without testing it I'm not sure but one of them should work

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme problem | Lion Server OS X Home Directory causing login issue »